Planning a Trip to the Grand Canyon.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I am looking at flying into Las Vegas and then driving out to the Grand Canyon. I have 4 days, not counting the day out or back.

What is not to be missed in that area. Right now, I plan on spending the first night in Vegas because we would try to plan a flight to arrive around 9 or 10 local time. The next morning, driving out to the Hoover Dam, and then on to Williams, Az.

Then on the 2nd day drive up to the Canyon, then maybe travel up to Marble Canyon for the night

Tell me your thoughts.

Thanks

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I am thinking about making a circle all the way around it in 4 days.

Has anyone on here done that, or can point me to a 'don't miss' spot or two

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I'm not a big fan of McCarran Airport.
Inbound is ok. Outbound, my luggage has never made it on the same day as me.
If 1 bag is flagged, they hold everything behind it until it's cleared.
Last 3 trips, got my luggage several days later from FedEx.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I have been two times and enjoyed both times. The first time in 96 was flying to and from Vegas. The second time in 2017 was to and from Phoenix. Each time was a week.

The Hoover dam is a must see if you are sure that Vegas is your hub. The new see through overlook is on the west end of the canyon too.
If you want to see more natural stuff Phoenix may be better. On our loop last year we saw the Petrified Forest, Canyon de chely, four corners, Monument valley, Grand Canyon, and Sedona. Did two nights at G C in the park.
Sunrise and sunset are the most popular times to be perched on the rim at an overlook. The buses start running 2 hours before daylight to get folks to the various overlooks.

Be mindful that the Southwest area has long stretches of less than scenic terrain.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
have you ever been on the north side of the Canyon? Looks like lots of mountains on that side, especially the north west side toward the Utah/Nevada line

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
have you ever been on the north side of the Canyon? Looks like lots of mountains on that side, especially the north west side toward the Utah/Nevada line

Not to the north rim. Closest was the area towards the east from Bluff Utah through monument valley down through Cameron to the south rim. From what I have heard stores and restaurants are scarce on the north side.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
from the looks of the road maps, Zion Park might be a bit hilly

1542509642140.png

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
You can probably google and find where someone has made a utube video of that drive. I have been doing that for several years now when “scouting “ road trips.
good idea. I hadn't thought of that

Hoss

If you’re on the north side, Bryce Canyon National Park is an interesting place to visit and isn’t a long drive.

Hoss

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Thanks Hoss. I will check out Bryce Canyon.

We are talking about renting a Mustang Convertible to make the trip. Throw the top back and cruise. At least that should make for some great viewing

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What time of year are you planning to go?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Have you considered doing a one way car rental?
You can see more stuff sometimes that way for a little higher rent. Las Vegas to Phoenix or Salt Lake to Phoenix. Etc.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have never done anything like that. I will have to consider that and see if my wife would be interested in that. When we started talking about a trip like this, we only discussed traveling around the canyon. Then it progressed into maybe circling the canyon.

We have stayed a week in Scottsdale once, and traveled out into the high desert there, so I don't know if there is a lot in that leg of the trip she would enjoy. There may be, I just haven't even thought about that prospect.

Thanks

mamatried

You will more than likely be the only American there. Just got back after spending 2 weeks hiking out there last month. Are you planning on hiking any trails or just site seeing?

Hoss

You might want to check out the temperatures in December. I don't think a convertible will be the way to go. Elevation is high enough it gets pretty chilly and there could be snow a few places.

Hoss

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You will more than likely be the only American there. Just got back after spending 2 weeks hiking out there last month. Are you planning on hiking any trails or just site seeing?

Yep
If you plan to interact with the other tourists you may need to brush up on European and Asian languages.

Latest posts