204” Worth County Giant confiscated by game warden

Tmpr111

Hunt or fish without a license and be prepared to have whatever you shot or caught confiscated, end of story. Its beyond baffling to read some of the responses on this thread from those that don't understand this concept and then listen to their justifications, excuses and analogies. Reflective of society and too many hunters unfortunately. I hate it for the kid if it was an honest mistake but it is what it is. Hopefully it will end up being a good life lesson.

I think giving someone the benefit of the doubt without rushing to judgement is always a good choice too. On the surface, I personally don’t see this as a move (or lack thereof) due to entitlement or a person feeling above the law - like that of what’s killing our beloved sport and society.

Wide Earp

Seriously? Do you have driver's license, car tag, pay taxes, ect?
this "private property" is your name on the deed and do you reside on said property? if not you're breaking the law.

oops1

Buzzard Expert

TomC

Rushing to judgement?? He was either hunting with a license or without one which hopefully the DNR accurately verified. If DNR made a mistake then that's a whole different issue which I'm sure will come out in time. Reading some of the comments on GON over the past few years whether about this or the old corn debates reflect a sad mentality that is infact one of the biggest problems in our society......and more importantly our beloved sport. I'm guessing there is a better chance than not that this was an honest mistake but follow the rules of the game until the State / DNR changes them. If the state wants to change the rules and say that "a pass will be given to teenagers whose parents failed to inform them of the license requirements" or "you will have a certain amount of time after shooting a deer to purchase a license" then by all means but until then follow the rules and except the consequences even in the matter of honest mistakes. And in this case, given the publicity of THIS deer there is a MUCH bigger precedent at stake if the DNR went in a direction which I'm guessing many on this forum will fail to ever see.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Don’t know what the law was back then regarding confiscation of illegally taken game, or when it was changed to current. Just presenting what facts I can. Glad you didn’t get your deer taken. Be safe.

Yes, Sir, and for the record, I wasn't trying to call you out or start an argument with you. I was just sharing my experience. Have a good day.

Jonboater

The law just doing its job , everyone get over it. He broke the law and he's paying for it end of story.

buckpasser

It was illegal to leave our status as a cluster of British colonies. It was illegal to refuse to help the Nazis or to hide and aid Jews. It was once legal to do many drugs that we consider illicit today. It was recently illegal to bait deer. Legal and right/illegal and wrong are different issues and certainly not always the same. What we’re dealing with here maybe technically illegal, but three years from now it may not be. Either way it’s not wrong of the kid to hunt and kill the deer on his family farm. It IS wrong of any government official to take it from him. It is also stupid to post anything on FB or here that you don’t want to make a public affair. Law enforcement should have a huge list of tasks of more importance. They may have the legal right, but I’ve worked as an official of the state and they definitely can ignore it.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I speed, no big deal.
I get a ticket.....also no big deal
Guy shot a buck no license. No big deal.
Got caught deer confiscated, also no big deal.

Don't understand all the arguing and analogies and "walking on water" garbage. It was a huge buck, worth discussing. They took it, that's worth discussing too. But it's no big deal.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
I speed, no big deal.

Don't understand all the arguing and analogies and "walking on water" garbage. It was a huge buck, worth discussing. They took it, that's worth discussing too. But it's no big deal.

Agreed.
It's just a deer. The guy that supplies my sod shot 200 of them on his soybean field this summer.

Christian hughey

I just heard a story last month about a 164" deer killed at cedar creek wma confiscated for the same reason. Could it be coincidence that this is the same story misconstrued? Regardless if there were two different stories they deserve what they get. If you hunt in Georgia pay the 40$. It goes toward a good effort by our local conservation members. Also I just saw a story about a 204" from worth co. Killed by a senior in high school ( lucky little sucker). Killed on his family property and the story didn't mention poaching.

buckpasser

I speed, no big deal.

You’re correct, but getting overly excited about things that are none of our business is what a forum is for! Haha

spencer12

They do the same thing in Iowa, and most of the major midwest states. Whenever a world class deer is killed in the midwest the DNR will conduct research on the hunter and ensure he has all the necessary paperwork.

Again it's a shame, but it's the law.