CRISPY Fried Okra

ssramage

Ok I have a vice at Thanksgiving...it’s not turkey, or ham, or dressing, or any casserole. It is extra crispy, golden fried okra.

But I have a problem...this year I’m not going to my usual dealer’s house (aka my wife’s aunt). As a heavy user, I’ve tried cooking the stuff up myself, but it just never quite comes out right. It’s always gooey.

So, here I come asking for help. I’m in bad need of the next “fix.”

Let’s hear your recipe/process, etc for the Lord’s vegetable.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My mother in law makes awesome crispy fried okra. She puts corn meal in the flour & deep fries it quickly.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

My mother in law makes awesome crispy fried okra. She puts corn meal in the flour & deep fries it quickly.

Sounds perfect. IT's amazing how a small amount of corn meal can get some nice golden results so fast in some hot oil.

Last batch of okra I cooked was on a hot grill. I used a thin "ventilated" pizza pan my wife bought.

Whole okra sliced down the center.....hit 'em with some canola oil spray and course S&P and onto the steak-hot grill.

Didn't take long to get some crispy goodness.

Next time I think I'll try dusting on some finely ground corn meal before putting them on the grill.

Cmp1

BANNED
Try Panko,,,,better than cornmeal imo,,,,never tried it on okra,but for yardbird it is great,,,,

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the best okra was that when granny would coat it in cornmeal, and fry it in a old cast iron skillet. It wasn't all breaded up and coated. Couldn't really be called crunchy either, but it had a flavor unlike any other.... Granny only used white cornmeal on okra.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Mom always uses cornmeal.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
the best okra was that when granny would coat it in cornmeal, and fry it in a old cast iron skillet. It wasn't all breaded up and coated. Couldn't really be called crunchy either, but it had a flavor unlike any other.... Granny only used white cornmeal on okra.
Not burnt but not that far from it! Man I can eat my weight in fried okry.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
When I first got married to a "city" girl she refused to eat most any veggies, something about texture that I never understood. Just a spoiled brat. One day she came home and I had fresh okry fry'n in the skillet.. "That smells great, what is it?" Not telling you till you try it, I said. From that day on there was fried okry sit'n in a bowl on the table, she ate it like pop corn. To answer the O.P., white corn meal hot and fast.

Reactions: Dub

GA1dad

I never even wanted to try fried okra, until one day when the brunette next door offered me some. Nothing was going on between us, but my ex-wife still holds that one against me.

I like to eat it now, but I've never tried to make my own.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Fried okry is almost as good,almost,as boiled peanuts. Fried okry,roastnears,sliced tomatoes,fried chicken,and sweet tea,a meal fit for a King.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Fried okry is almost as good,almost,as boiled peanuts. Fried okry,roastnears,sliced tomatoes,fried chicken,and sweet tea,a meal fit for a King.

you left out them cat head biskits, good and hot.... slang you a 1/2 thick slice of 'mater in there, a little salt, a little pepper and get ready to enjoy heavenly treats

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
you left out them cat head biskits, good and hot.... slang you a 1/2 thick slice of 'mater in there, a little salt, a little pepper and get ready to enjoy heavenly treats
Or skip to the chase and pour mater / sausage gravy over them. Lip smack'n!

Artfuldodger

I love fried okra but it never turns out right for me. It's also messy to fry inside. I usually get it at fried chicken places if it's on the menu. Most of the times it's crispy. Sometimes it's a soggy mess with all the coating falling off.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Might be messy Art (get one of them pan sized screen doors), but once you get it right it's hard to beat. Like Mama taught me.. hot and fast.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
gotta have some black stuff in it so you know it done. :p
Same school of thought as my Mom, she's the only one I know who uses the smoke detector as a timer for heating up a can of green beans. o_O She all but quit cook'n when the Sheriff started charge'n her money for false alarms.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler

The cathead idea is 100 percent,but lacy cornbread is also a good choice. I'm sure you know of which I speak. I believe there are readers of this thread that don't really know what lacy cornbread might be. You get you some plain cornmeal,mix it with water to a thin batter,spread a thin puddle of batter on a lard greased cast iron griddle, and fry it to lightly brown. The only drawback to this alternate plan,it doesn't make as good a mater sammich as does biskit.