Swift Creek Complicated Stamped

Bow Only

Swift Creek Complicated Stamped actually started in Georgia and then moved to Florida over time. These are some good examples of the common paddle stamped wares. From this one site, I had over 50 examples of different designs including my favorite, the weeping eye motif.

Attachments

• SC complicated stamped.jpg
    SC complicated stamped.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 65
  • sccsmod.jpg
    sccsmod.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 66

KentuckyHeadhunter

The weeping eye motif is my favorite too. Anything SECC related has always fascinated me. Tha ks for sharing.

Bow Only

The weeping eye motif is my favorite too. Anything SECC related has always fascinated me. Tha ks for sharing.
The fascinating part is that the Weeping Eye motif used during the Woodland period is not associated with the Weeping Eye motif used in the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex. Why is that? It was discontinued before early Ft Walton/Mississippian times only to see it utilized in the later more prominent sites.

One theory is that the SECC was greatly influenced by Meso-Americans. A good example of this would be the Buck Mound in Panama City. The funeral wares found there are great examples of an individual or group of individuals influence on a culture. Add in maize and the plot thickens.

There were many chiefdoms located in the SE and they all did not fall under one rule. In the case of the SECC, their sites were so large that they commanded much more influence over smaller and isolated groups of peoples.

tad1

I do recall reading or hearing theories about meso american influence. It does seem to fit into the puzzle well.
Thanks for sharing,
JT