Sports Cards Question

smokey30725

I run a small Etsy store that mainly deals in vintage pocket knives, but I've been adding a few sports cards here and there if they are in the unopened boxes. I have a chance to buy an entire pallet of mixed sports cards that are new in box. There are football, basketball, baseball, hockey and golf. There are at least 27 cases that contain 20 boxes of 36 wax packs each plus a lot of other smaller boxes of special edition cards. The majority are in factory sealed condition and are from the late 80's and early 90's. Is the market too soft to get into these? I offered $500 for the pallet and they want closer to $1500. Not sure if that's a good buy or not.

sinclair1

Be careful I traded memorabilia thru the late 80’s. People would pull the good cards and reseal it with a common card in its place. Around 88 or so they changed the wax seal to a machine seal. Usually the back card in the pack will show some signs of a reseal.

People think no one would take the time, but when the rookie of a particular year goes for thousands its common.
You could be buying from a guy who bought to pull and reseal.

Jim Baker

Staff member
Depends on the brand as well. The market was flooded in the late 80s with Donruss and Topps. That and every BBG maker came out with cards. In 1990 or 1991, we had thirty cases of Donruss that Donruss wouldn't even pay the return shipping. They just gave us credit.

If they are Upperdeck, might be a different story. In the late 80s early 90s unopened cases were selling for $1500 to $2000 per.

I had a customer that would buy all the unopened packages of any brand that we had returned from stores for retail price and do exactly as told above. Open and repackage.

You have got to figure the seller has some inside knowledge and has to believe he is sitting on less than $1500. Then you have realize that you will eventually have to sell the lot in its entirety or break them up yourself. With e-bay it might not be as hard as it was in the 90s.

1. The market for sports cards is getting hot again (Graded and vintage)
2. Late 80s to early 90s is known as the junk wax era. I.E: Not worth the paper that it is printed on
3. I think your offer is more than fair. If it was me, I wouldn't go higher without knowing for sure what is in there.
4. Graded superstars can be worth $ (Ken Griffey Jr. 1989 Upper Deck BGS 10 is about 3k)
5. Grading costs about $35 per card.
6. Be careful

someguyintraffic

Got boxes of 70s and 80s football cards

What do you think its worth? Joe Montana, Tony Dorsett, Jerry Rice, Herschel Walker, Randall Cunningham, Steve Largent, and on and on and you name them Ive got them, multiples of rookie cards, all the HOFers. Im just biding my time.

someguyintraffic

Even some late 60s players. My brother was gonna toss em out years ago. Lol. I saved em and never said a word.

smokey30725

Depends on the brand as well. The market was flooded in the late 80s with Donruss and Topps. That and every BBG maker came out with cards. In 1990 or 1991, we had thirty cases of Donruss that Donruss wouldn't even pay the return shipping. They just gave us credit.

If they are Upperdeck, might be a different story. In the late 80s early 90s unopened cases were selling for $1500 to $2000 per.

I had a customer that would buy all the unopened packages of any brand that we had returned from stores for retail price and do exactly as told above. Open and repackage.

You have got to figure the seller has some inside knowledge and has to believe he is sitting on less than $1500. Then you have realize that you will eventually have to sell the lot in its entirety or break them up yourself. With e-bay it might not be as hard as it was in the 90s.
The seller is actually my local goodwill store. I've been buying collectibles from them and sports cards as well to go on my online store. I was picking up some Desert Storm and Star Trek cards last week and they told me they had a pallet full and that's where the conversation started.

sinclair1

1. The market for sports cards is getting hot again (Graded and vintage)
2. Late 80s to early 90s is known as the junk wax era. I.E: Not worth the paper that it is printed on
3. I think your offer is more than fair. If it was me, I wouldn't go higher without knowing for sure what is in there.
4. Graded superstars can be worth $ (Ken Griffey Jr. 1989 Upper Deck BGS 10 is about 3k)
5. Grading costs about $35 per card.
6. Be careful
You must be kidding, I haven't looked at prices in years but have over 500 Griffey upper deck rookies.

You must be kidding, I haven't looked at prices in years but have over 500 Griffey upper deck rookies.
Not kiddong. Now, your chances of having a Beckett graded card in 10 (pristine) condition are quite remote. You should go spend some time on ebay.