Is it over.....

strothershwacker

Just looked at the calender. I saw a sow and a cub I think 9 days ago. It was raining when I saw em. Think it's rained everyday since. Hunted Friday & saterday in pouring rain the whole time. Saw 3 doe. What's the latest you've ever seen bear?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I saw one about three days ago. I've seen boars all year. They usually just den up for a few days during really cold, nasty weather. Don't see many sows in the winter. I've seen many of a bear track in the snow.

Our second phase of bear season opens here today. We used to kill a right many in second phase back when I was hunting with hounds pretty heavy. Not as many as the early season, but you could find a track most days.

I have never bear hunted, but I must say the guys on this subforum are the least competitive, most helpful bunch on this site! I enjoy seeing y'alls reports. My favorite hunting is squirrel hunting and my favorite fishing is catfishing with a pole. Not much ego or competition involved in either pursuit. Just let's me relax and enjoy myself. You guys seem to have the same attitude about your hunting.

Last edited:

strothershwacker

I have never bear hunted, but I must say the guys on this subforum are the least competitive, most helpful bunch on this site! I enjoy seeing y'alls reports. My favorite hunting is squirrel hunting and my favorite fishing is catfishing with a pole. Not much ego or competition involved in either pursuit. Just let's me relax and enjoy myself. You guys seem to have the same attitude about your hunting.
$ and competition ain't rurnt bear, skwurl and catfish. .....yet.

Buckman18

Extra emphasis on laurel or cuts on the south side, red oaks with fresh feeding sign, and/or rock cliffs with caves, dens, etc. On years like this year I’d be on lower level ridges under 2,500 ft. That’s where most of the acorns are that I’ve found this year. Kill a bear, save a fawn.

Buckman18

Kill 'em all. Ive got a kid who still has two tags if you need extra.

Killer Kyle

Chattahoochee had 1 killed last week during the rifle hunt. It aint over until its over! Like Buckman said, if you're hunting acorns, best be hunting as low elevation as you can get, on the south side of the ridge (longer sun exposure means more warmth) and in some red oaks. Red oak and scarlet oak acorns are the only game in town right now! Good luck buddy!

Rich Kaminski

In the southern zone bear almost never hibernate. In the county where I hunt you can only hunt bear one day a year and we have plenty of them.