Deep water re-entry

Coenen

Saw a guy roll his yak on Lanier this past Saturday. That 50 degree water was a rude awakening for him. Especially when he couldn't self-recover. Luckily, there was a boat close by that was able to come to his aid in a matter of seconds.

Warm weather doesn't mean warm water. Be prepared.

mdgreco191

Saw a guy roll his yak on Lanier this past Saturday. That 50 degree water was a rude awakening for him. Especially when he couldn't self-recover. Luckily, there was a boat close by that was able to come to his aid in a matter of seconds.

Warm weather doesn't mean warm water. Be prepared.

Exactly! Things can go south real quick.

weagle

I always thought if I went off shore I would carry a small inflatable pool float. Use the pool float to get you body up on top of the water and drag yourself into the kayak. If it was a cold weather situation were speed was an issue, a couple of pool noodles stored in the hatch or a dry bag filled with air could serve the same purpose. I'd have a hard time getting back in without some inflated device to help get my lower body weight out of the water.

mdgreco191

I always thought if I went off shore I would carry a small inflatable pool float. Use the pool float to get you body up on top of the water and drag yourself into the kayak. If it was a cold weather situation were speed was an issue, a couple of pool noodles stored in the hatch or a dry bag filled with air could serve the same purpose. I'd have a hard time getting back in without some inflated device to help get my lower body weight out of the water.

Practice somewhere in a safe environment, i.e. a pool if you have access to one. As you can see in the video my first attempt was unsuccessful. On the second attempt I got my body parallel with the surface of the water first and then kicked/pulled my upper body onto the kayak. Then all you have to do is rotate your legs back in.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Good post!
Along the same lines I float streams more than lakes so reentry is less of an issue.
However, you need to think of how your going to get dry far from your vehicle on a stream.
An extra pair of clothes in a dry bag can save your life after an unplanned baptism.

Upatoi Sportsman

Great reminder. It is always good to practice this a couple time a week. Just as important is to check your pfd and always have it on. I know a couple guys who won't wear there's on flat water but things can go south way too fast.

oldguy

Have a canoe not a kayak. Folks have commented on the fact that I have everything tied in - learned from experience!
I 'm known for guided tours on local river so get calls from folks asking questions about kayaking/canoeing local streams. Always tell them to check USGS site for flow levels and caution them about water temps and being prepared. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Common sense and precaution can keep recovery off the six o'clock news!

Chap

Have a canoe not a kayak. Folks have commented on the fact that I have everything tied in - learned from experience!
I 'm known for guided tours on local river so get calls from folks asking questions about kayaking/canoeing local streams. Always tell them to check USGS site for flow levels and caution them about water temps and being prepared. Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD. Common sense and precaution can keep recovery off the six o'clock news!

I do the opposite. I switched from strapping everything in to attaching floats to everything for the purpose of a deep-water re-entry. I had everything tied down on my Vibe once and rolled over in waist-deep water and had a difficult enough time rolling the kayak back over with me standing right by it that I knew I needed to re-think having everything tied to it. The weight of my gear was holding my kayak down while I was trying to flip it over. If I was only floating and could not get leverage to roll the yak back over, I was going to be in trouble.

The solution was buying cheap pool noodles and making attachable floats for my rods, fish grips, pliers etc. Then I totally re-evaluated what gear I took out with me, ditched the milk crate set up, and down-sized my gear to small plastic containers that would fit in the hatch. Within a few weeks of doing so I rolled my yak while fishing deep water inshore. I was able to flip the yak, place my body parallel to the kayak and roll back on. Had all my gear been lashed to the yak, I'd would have been waiting for someone to find me and help out.

So, I think part of the answer is to limit the gear you take. You have to be completely aware of your target species and your fishing hole, and arm yourself accordingly. I have to constantly be on guard against the urge to take the entire Bass Pro Shop out to the marsh with me, employees included. That can just get you in trouble and potentially put your life in danger.

oldguy

Like in any outdoor endeavor it's easy to gadget/gimmick yourself down when the real answer is simplify. Guess everybody has to find that out for themselves!
Does M.A.S.S. have local chapters and meetings? :)

HydraYak

Great video! Deep water is an important skill to know. Especially ocean fishing. Nice job Matt!

HunterD15

Great reminder. It is always good to practice this a couple time a week. Just as important is to check your pfd and always have it on. I know a couple guys who won't wear there's on flat water but things can go south way too fast.
You talking about me!? I only fish in warm weather.. I know I am bad about not wearing it all of the time, but that is when it is 95 degrees in july..