Bass master Elite Lake Lanier 2019

jocko755

Top sack day 1 19-2

Bill Lowen caught one near 7lb LMB. Big fish for day 1.

Some nice football spots being caught. The anglers targeting largemouth didn't fair as well. I think the common thought is to target deep BIG spots on the south end of the lake.

Seems like most caught their limits early. That has always been my experience, early bite is better, then they go deep once the sun breaks the tree line.

Been fun to watch the live mix and see the Elite anglers make the same mistakes as me! On the same areas!

howboutthemdawgs

Yeah, they've got a 98.5% survival rate, which is more than one can say about most tourneys.

98% that’s rich!! I doubt the average immediately caught and released fish has a 98% per chance of survival let alone one that is rode around for 6 hours, pulled from 50’ deep, beaten against a livewell for 6 hours, driven for an hour plus, paraded around stage, and then dumped back in the lake afterwards has a 98.5% chance of survival.

Last edited:

GThunter5

zaldain fizzed all his bass - he's a deep water CA guy and knows how to keep them alive
generally <70F water the bass pretty much survive unless u gut hook them or something. 50F water (current temp) you don't even need to run the pumps to keep them alive (I'm not saying not to - u better run ur pumps)

I enjoyed watching today but it was hard to watch Gustafsen. I saw the area he was fishing around sunset cove...just grab a shaky head and run a few rock points dude...!

its neat to see them fishing spots I've fished in the past...maybe im doing something right

Coenen

Paul Mueller wins with 69lbs flat.

I feel like my (vague) prediction was pretty close! :LOL:

sasmojoe

One guy was catching pretty good on red craw crankbait, can’t imagine fishing 45 -60 ft. Deep wth swimbait.

Coenen

I was way off, didn't think thay'd get close to 70lbs
It's easier to get there than you might think.

Because I'm a huge nerd, here's a hypothetical:
There are plenty of fish in Lanier in that 2 to 2.5lb range. Five(three 2's and a two 2.5's) of those a day for four days would bag you 44lbs without ever catching one over about 17". Now, bump the size of the fish up a shade, say you get one 2, two 2.5's, an above average 3.5, and then one exceptional fish, 5lbs. Four sacks of those fish get you to 62lbs. That would've been good for a top ten finish in this tournament.

I don't know what the number of total fish they catch per day is, but almost certainly, the top guys are going to get the 5 average sized fish just for starters. As long as they can do that, they only really need a handful of above average or exceptional catches to make the difference.

Lucient

I followed Chris Johnston and watched him fish for a while Saturday and I see soooo much that I've been doing wrong at Lanier. It takes dedication to fish the way these guys did. Its not the typical beat the banks kind of fishing. Lanier is an offshore fishermans paradise. I equate it to fishing in the ocean.

Coenen

In a couple months you’ll get the rough seas to make it more like ocean fishing
Those are usually my signal to pack up and take my show on the road to calmer waters! ?

Lucient

In a couple months you’ll get the rough seas to make it more like ocean fishing

Dude its already started. I was there a couple weeks ago and my dad and I are sitting fishing and a yacht probably 60' long motors by producing a wake of epic proportions. The boat traffic and the type of boat traffic is the only thing that sucks about Lanier. Other than that its a great lake

Coenen

Or reach out to a friend with a more capable ride.
Also an option. ?

That plastic boat of mine will handle some pretty serious slop, but you've got to know when to say when. It doesn't hurt that there are several good "all electric" lakes within easy driving distance.