feeding of turkey verses a chicken

Been doing some thinking lately and was very curious to see if turkey are a lot like chickens...
if you was to feed a chicken laying feed they produce more eggs and stronger. what would the effects of feeding turkey the same thing? would they nest and lay many more eggs or would it just give the predators a easier target?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I wouldn’t want to see the wild birds being fed as the chance for disease would be greater if the birds all ate out of a feeder.

I wouldn’t want to see the wild birds being fed as the chance for disease would be greater if the birds all ate out of a feeder.

Understand that completely. but would it change the laying pattern or maybe a greater chance of more pulps being hatched? the population around my area is getting slim.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like a great idea , but the birds around want eat out of troughs to much , and laying pellets I feed my chickens turn to dust with just a heavy dew

bucktail

I've got 3 merriams in my barnyard. I started them on game bird grower, moved to chicken layer when they got bigger cause they'd go in the chicken coop when I let them in the run. As soon as let them free range they stopped eating anything from a feeder and foraged but stay around. They do like to eat under the horses when I give out some tasty ten! The local wild birds come hang out from time to time. My gobblers always stay. My hen goes off with them, sometimes for a few hours sometimes for a day or two. I always hope she comes back. So far she has. If you want strong shells; probably better to put some crack corn mixed with oyster shells. Otherwise I've learned nature knows best! And shoot some coons.

DRBugman85

We put Oyster shells that we shuck and eat in the cold months in every wash out holes on our roads,not only does it fills the hole in I've seen hens scratch at the crushed shells more than a time are 2, Now to say it makes the egg shells stronger I haven't a clue, but our population is strong and Predator control helps a lot.We try hard to by planting food plots and mowing roads. With all this rain the HOGS have started to show up and over night can ruin a food plot.The hog man is on the job as I type hopefully he will catch them all,hogs are tuff on turkey nest. And coons are worse.

bucktail

I give my chickens crushed oyster shells, it definitely helps them have stronger shells. A huge difference! To increase their calcium intake. Buy it at traore supply. If any of ya'll ever cracked a turkey shell. They are considerably harder than chicken's.

buckpasser

You won’t really be doing any good trying to force feed layer crumbles. Game chickens are about like turkeys if they are left free range. The main difference in laying chickens and wild turkeys/game fowl is that they only lay for necessity. They may only lay one dozen eggs per year. If they suffer a nest loss they might lay another and even another batch, but then they’re done one way or another. Your gold laced Wyandot could produce 300 eggs a year, so give her the bag stuff and let mama turkey make eggs out of cheat grass and grasshoppers.