War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know about that award ???

One major general who had a nickname was Mosby. Something like silver ghost. I don’t know how long he lived

BassRaider

This major general was in the CSA
The Legion of Honor is the highest French order of merit for military and civil merits.
His nickname was PoleCat

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
This major general was in the CSA
The Legion of Honor is the highest French order of merit for military and civil merits.
His nickname was PoleCat

So the award was probably after the war ........
I have no clue :banginghe

BassRaider

Prince Camille Armand Jules Marie de Polignac (Prince Polecat) was a French nobleman that was in the US when the war started. He sided with the South and fought in the western field as a Lt Col, the Brig Gen, then Major General. He fought in the Crimean War, Civil War, and the Franco-Prussian War. He was the last surviving CSA major general and died in 1913. He was also referred as the ’'Lafayette of the Confederacy".
I have no date of the L of H - still searching.

westcobbdog

Interesting character, according to my Generals in Gray, he was in Central America when the war broke out and immediately offered his services to the Confederacy. Looks like his Father was president of the King of France’s council. He was for a time in the army in France and discharged from the French Army in 1859. Joined the Reb army as a Lt Colonel and served under among others Bragg. He must have realized Bragg was clueless but kept that to himself. He served with Dick Taylor in Louisiana ( fighting tigers) then went west in the Red River Campaign. Reb govt then sent him to Spain to lobby for assistance and he ran the blockade successfully. Before he could secure that countries help the war ended. Returning to France he led the 1st Division in the Franco Prussian war where he was awarded the Legion of Honor.

BassRaider

If you're referring to "General" General, my guess would be 9.

Frank Buchanan (Admiral)
RE Lee
Kirby Smith
Joe Johnston
Sidney Johnston
John Hood
Sam Cooper
Braxton Bragg
Beauregard

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Bout’ how many men could say they were General Officers in the Southern Confederacy?

There were dozens. Many were politicians. If our side had more career military officers it may have made a difference.

BassRaider

My answer referred to the rank General. There were many Brig Gen, Major Gen. etc. The rank General (4 star) only included in my list. If others, I don't know.
Grant was the only Northern General? McClellan was a General-in-Chief for awhile.

However, if you're talking about all General ranks, my book says 425.

Last edited:

westcobbdog

I would guess 250 pro's like little Joe Wheeler of Ga. and say 175 non pro's, ala Gen Gordon of Georgia. Sometimes its not what you know but who you know...but that is certainly not aimed at Gen Gordon, possibly the finest Soldier of his day who was not a career military man.

westcobbdog

The CSA Brigadier was born in Milledgeville, Ga and went to school and engaged in business there, too. He was Captain of a militia co., the Baldwin Blues, and went to war as part of the 4th Ga. This unit joined the ANV after the 7 Days battles. This man made Brigadier in 1862 and went on to fight at Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness and Spotsylvania. He became one of the best young Brigadier Generals in the army. In 1864 he was killed instantly by a union sharpshooter supervising his men and is buried in Milledgeville.

westcobbdog

General Doles of Baldwin County is the man.

Can anybody name the man who was Georgia's most prominent "politically"
appointed Confederate General? He only lasted a few years in the field and quit that business, returning to politics and full time hating on Jeff Davis ( who I think appointed him ) at every turn. At the collapse of the Southern Confederacy he fled to Europe staying for more than a few years.

BassRaider

General Doles of Baldwin County is the man.

Can anybody name the man who was Georgia's most prominent "politically"
appointed Confederate General? He only lasted a few years in the field and quit that business, returning to politics and full time hating on Jeff Davis ( who I think appointed him ) at every turn. At the collapse of the Southern Confederacy he fled to Europe staying for more than a few years.

Robert (Bob) Augustus Toombs. He was inclined to be at odds with his superiors maybe cause he just missed being elected president of the CS.

BassRaider

Paul Jones Semmes was wounded on second day (7/2) at Round Top Gettysburg but died on 7/10. In Columbus, he was captain of the Columbus Guars from '46 til '61.

Status
Not open for further replies.