Kali-key

Lilly001

I was discussing the upcoming attempt in Fl to outlaw semi-auto weapons via a constitutional admendment of our state constitution in the 2020 election.
I'm not wanting to discuss that misdirected assault on our rights. But during the discussion this bolt replacement item came up.
It disables the gas system and replaces the charging handle with an oversized ambidextrous one.
This changes the weapon to a strait pull bolt action.
The claim is that it is now unneffected by and "assault weapon ban".
So is an AR stripped receiver a semi auto weapon? Or does it depend on how it is assembled?
While I would prefer not to need such an option I can see a use on an already owned AR rifle that is set up for accuracy, not tactical use.
What do you think?

fishtail

A stripped receiver is a part. That state will need to be inclusive as to the "part" that needs regulating. An unthought out example would be outlawing 30 round magazines. But when made caliber specific a 30 round 5.56 magazine may be used as a 10 round 458socom.
In the case of California, they have specified assault weapons as semi-auto AND ONE OTHER qualification such as a threaded barrel or detachable magazine or pistol grip stock or etc. They are required to register or decommission or surrender the firearm. The KALI KEY negates their requirement and complies, at least as the way their present law is dictated.
More classic "oh crap" liberal mentality.

Lilly001

I like that with the"Kali-key" you can convert back to a semi auto quickly and easily.

Lilly001

oh, mine is scheduled to be here today
Let us know what you think of it.
I can see it on a hunting weapon, or target. But it would not be ideal on a tactical set up.

fishtail

I never really appreciated most semi-auto's, like you said this will allow a quick change from one to the other. I'm getting a dedicated bolt carrier group for it.

trial&error

When building an ar i didn't order a gas block of the correct diameter. effectively making it a single shot until the appropriate part was received.. It was difficult to manually cycle after firing.

Lilly001

When building an ar i didn't order a gas block of the correct diameter. effectively making it a single shot until the appropriate part was received.. It was difficult to manually cycle after firing.
I'm thinking that the Kali key would provide more leverage because of its size. Also, I think you could weaken the buffer spring while still allow it to push the BCG back into battery?
Granted this is like putting a 4 cylinder in a Corvette, but if it means keeping the Corvette, I would go for it.
The only catch seems to be the prohibitions about being readily convertible back to an autoloader. The websight mention sealing screw heads and not having the semi auto BCG on the premises. I guess a few court cases would sort it out. But in the liberal political cesspools where this would be nessesary I can't see a sympathetic court.