Trumpet or wingbone call (beginner)

Just got me a real nice trumpet call at the nwtf convention in Nashville this past weekend. From a William Lester, you may have heard of him. I’m new too it, and was wondering if I could get some pointers from anyone on here. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

six

Start out trying to play it as softly as you can. You will be surprised at how little air is required. This may or mat not make sense to you. But think of it as a straw, and the air as water. Remember as a kid when you would draw water up in the straw, then try to hold it, then let it back down. Basically your doing the same thing with a suction style caller and air. Its all about learning to manipulate the air flow and volume. I would first try to learn to make a steady sound 2 or 3 seconds. Once you can do that, practice dropping off at the end, then just shorten up the process for a yelp. Some pretty good YouTube video's out there that should help shorten the learning curve a lot. Good luck, they are addictive.

Start out trying to play it as softly as you can. You will be surprised at how little air is required. This may or mat not make sense to you. But think of it as a straw, and the air as water. Remember as a kid when you would draw water up in the straw, then try to hold it, then let it back down. Basically your doing the same thing with a suction style caller and air. Its all about learning to manipulate the air flow and volume. I would first try to learn to make a steady sound 2 or 3 seconds. Once you can do that, practice dropping off at the end, then just shorten up the process for a yelp. Some pretty good YouTube video's out there that should help shorten the learning curve a lot. Good luck, they are addictive.
Thanks man. I’ve playing round with it and get a steady yelp, but still got a long way to go. They sure are addictive

gregg

Just got me a real nice trumpet call at the nwtf convention in Nashville this past weekend. From a William Lester, you may have heard of him. I’m new too it, and was wondering if I could get some pointers from anyone on here. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Can you show a few pics? Find the lipstop spacing that gives you the best sound and easiest draw, keep it there and practice like crazy. Hard to understand this at first, but try and pull the air straight to the back of your throat while modulating the air at the bell to get the proper sound.

Greg

GADAWGS

What I tell beginners is, imagine you are drinking scalding hot coffee through a coffee stirrer. If you pull too hard, you burn your mouth, your not trying to suck a golfball through a garden hose. A trumpet carries a lot further than most realize, and in this case, softer produces a better sound than trying to get loud. Move the trumpet around on your mouth too, most people can run one from the center of the mouth, I prefer to run just left of center.

Can you show a few pics? Find the lipstop spacing that gives you the best sound and easiest draw, keep it there and practice like crazy. Hard to understand this at first, but try and pull the air straight to the back of your throat while modulating the air at the bell to get the proper sound.

Greg
Yeah I’ll try and get a pic on here tomorrow

Greg
Here’s that picture
7719A079-F0E0-46FF-B9EC-B223819C1022.jpeg

Swamprat

Swamprat
As somebody who has turkey hunted for over 40 years a trumpet/wingbone along with a scratch box is one of the tougher calls to master. I have used just about every type of call produced except a tube call and those two give me fits.

Practice and keep at it. Good looking call and wish you the best with it.