More deer tags????

Mark K

Banned
Some are missing the point that a doe comes in estrous once a month and not the entire month...she has a time frame. Even in a fenced in area a buck can only tend one at a time when they are in heat. I’d love to have some of those doe’s that stay in heat all year like some are thinking. Even penned up you’re doing to have does that didn’t get bred. Unless you keep them in that pen for a very long time.

Last edited:

PappyHoel

I counted 11 deer in my yard yesterday morning. My neighbors complain that they are eating all their cow feed. Won’t let anyone hunt

shdw633

I counted 11 deer in my yard yesterday morning. My neighbors complain that they are eating all their cow feed. Won’t let anyone hunt

Then I would be telling him his complaints are falling on deaf ears.

JB0704

I Gots Goats

Billy prolly shot they cows back in the day. Lots of good huntin' been lost to erybody on account of billy.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Some are missing the point that a doe comes in estrous once a month and not the entire month...she has a time frame. Even in a fenced in area a buck can only tend one at a time when they are in heat. I’d love to have some of those doe’s that stay in heat all year like some are thinking. Even penned up you’re doing to have does that didn’t get bred. Unless you keep them in that pen for a very long time.

If I understand what Charlie stated in post 36 all do get bred in the 20 doe fencing scenarios in Texas.

Mark K

Banned
I read the practice but overlooked that part that stated they all get bred I guess.
Guess my mind just doesn’t comprehend how those particular 20 does know to come into estrous right after each other. And in that case with the buck staying with each doe about 3 days they’d have to be there for 60 days...providing they all followed their estrous cycles in succession.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
If I understand what Charlie stated in post 36 all do get bred in the 20 doe fencing scenarios in Texas.

Yep, but more specifically in small pens <100 acres with only the 20 does and one buck. With that said, it could very well take several estrus cycles to get them all bred under those circumstances.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I read the practice but overlooked that part that stated they all get bred I guess.
Guess my mind just doesn’t comprehend how those particular 20 does know to come into estrous right after each other. And in that case with the buck staying with each doe about 3 days they’d have to be there for 60 days...providing they all followed their estrous cycles in succession.

I think in that small fenced environment the traditional 3 day chase is probably not always the case. If he is surrounded by hot does he likely would not follow traditional routine. I am no biologist but this is my feeling.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
^^^A little birdie told me it should have been changed way many years ago so we’ll see at the changes ahead.

Lilly001

I want 20 doe tags and 10 bucks I’ll shoot everyone of them I’ve got several mouths to feed that would be enough.
I know you are just joshing. But if you are in an area that can’t support that kind of harvest you’ll just starve the next year.

BowArrow

Three does and three bucks. All bucks must have at least three on one side. This protects all spikes and most fours.

Lilly001

Three does and three bucks. All bucks must have at least three on one side. This protects all spikes and most fours.
This still doesn’t protect the does in areas that are loseing deer population numbers.
Even 1 doe may be to much.
Does build the heard. Bucks are not near as important as long as there are enough to breed the does.

Lilly001

I can hunt over bait. I’m good
I can hunt squirrels and rabbits. Even coons if I get real hungry. Not opossum. I hate opossum.
But I do like deer. So I would like to keep a huntable, sustained heard in my area.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Statewide buck season is only open every 5 years

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Statewide buck season is only open every 5 years

No sir. Year round hunting. Weapon of choice. Makes no since I hafta wait till September to get fresh deer meat. Ded in June, ded in September, whut difference does it make. Liberty, freedom, maga, all that..........manage as ah see fit!