Habitat help

Tlightner

Plant diversity along with early succession is critical for bobwhite quail to to thrive. One component to the equation is briars.
My problem is that the briars are way too big of a component on my property. As I look across my thinned pines I see an ocean of "green" briars. It dominates my landscape. Won't burn, unless maybe you have a strong enough wind to make it dangerous.
So my question is what's best method of cutting back % of briars? I'm thinking top spray with Garlon but that's gonna be expensive. Any other suggestions?

Mark K

Banned
If you have that many greenbriers then you must not have any deer. They will eat every last leaf off of them.

jakebuddy

Winter disking will help some, if it’s really bad may mow strips in late summer could promote grasses depending what is there already.

Possum

Banned
Combination of mowing strips, herbicide and burning to create patchwork of habitat types.
If large scale, aerial herbicide costs about $50 acre and will help pines by killing all broadleafs.

Tlightner

Hey all thanks for response. I am out of town on business, don't have pictures. They are green briars, not blackberry.