End of a Legend

bullgator

It’s a shame.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I have owned a couple and they are nice, I just prefer the 1911 as my personal weapon of choice.

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

awww..

Never shot one, but love me some 1911.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I had one and loved the feel, but couldn't hit squat with it.
The CZ 75 has the same look and feel but is double action/single action, higher capacity, and INCREDIBLY accurate!

Hi-Power...

ezgif.com-resize (2).png
CZ-75...

ezgif.com-resize (3).png

I immediately decided I loved the CZ a lot mo!

Reactions: Dub

rosewood

I have a Witness in wonderfinish 10mm and like it a lot, save the heavy trigger pull.

rosewood

Is the slide of the Half-Power inside the frame like the CZ or outside?

transfixer

The high power was a great concealed carry gun back in the day, the slim front end made it perfect for IWB carry, and to have 13/14rds with a rather slim grip made it popular with a lot of people who carried guns for a living, bodyguards and such, being all steel it wasn't necessarily light though, and the rather strong hammer spring made it necessary to carry cocked and locked for most people, I carried one for years, and only changed when I bought my first G26 many years ago. Mine was very accurate and had a great trigger, very short reset, crisp break, I had the magazine safety disabled not long after I bought it.

rosewood

Those dang magazine disconnects make dry firing a pain in the rear don't they? I prefer no magazine in mine when doing so.

Dr. Strangelove

Oh my. Now they're gonna be even more overpriced. Great pistol, but I'm not paying what they're going for these days.

Jester896

Senior Clown
One of my buddies uses one for his EDC....claims it is the best weapon ever made. I have always wanted one...maybe one day.

godogs57

Got one recently...a bucket list item for me. 1940's vintage. Nazi proof Mark's, hooster, 90+%. Shoots like a dream!

GunnSmokeer

It was a good design, and if not for so many newer designs on the market, it would STILL be a good choice in a defensive weapon today. If you're disciplined enough to train and only use quality holsters, which is a requirement to safely carry a single-action automatic with one in the pipe and the safety on.

But, most handgun owners do NOT put in the time and effort to train well and commit to buying only properly-fitting holsters, and therefore the High Power's single action trigger system was seen as a big drawback.

When handguns were developed that combined the DA/SA trigger system of the Walther P38 with the double-column magazine capacity of the P-35 Hi-Power, those guns were called "wonder-nines" and they revolutionized defensive handguns in the 1980s. They are what caused law enforcement agencies to give up their .357 revolvers.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I carried a 659 for close to 20 years. It was DA/SA and close in size to the High Power. That thing shot more that pretty well for me. Wasn't any harder to conceal than the High Power...I think the grip was a little thicker. I made close to even swap for a Kimber compact that was SA. The reason I changed was it wouldn't fire without a magazine...not that it was DA or SA. I do regret its departure a little.

rosewood

I carried a 659 for close to 20 years. It was DA/SA and close in size to the High Power. That thing shot more that pretty well for me. Wasn't any harder to conceal than the High Power...I think the grip was a little thicker. I made close to even swap for a Kimber compact that was SA. The reason I changed was it wouldn't fire without a magazine...not that it was DA or SA. I do regret its departure a little.

I think that feature can be disabled with some parts removal or replacement...