Tiny newbie needs a kayak.

Scallen2112

Hey everybody. Came here to ask people who know more than me, as I don't kayak. I have a young lady friend who wants a kayak to paddle around lakes and ponds - basically no hurries sightseeing. All she has been able to find are 10' long kayaks. But she is a whopping 4'11" and 95 lbs and is worried they may be too big for her to handle, while the kids kayaks she has seen look too small. What is y'alls recommendation on a good size for her size and what she wants to do?

ForsythGlock

A 10' would be fine for her. My nieces/nephews use by 10 footer all the time and they don't have any problems maneuvering around.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
This is one of my favorite "little" kayaks.
Perception Rambler 9.5

We have an older version of this boat made by Wilderness Systems, called the Ripper. I think the Ripper was marketed as an 8.5' boat (really a 9'). Got it for one of the kids, but I've paddled it several times, even in up to class 3 whitewater, (wouldn't recommend it for everyone however :rockon:), fun, tough, quality boat.

What you will notice is that it really isn't much smaller than the 10' boats, and only a little bit lighter weight. The primary difference in boat size is the front/rear storage areas, cockpits are nearly identical (as far as Wilderness and Perception go). Don't rule out a 10' boat based on the overall size, as there aren't much "quality" options below that size.

Anyhow, the rambler is a great boat for smaller folks, but still tough, (rotomolded), not a terrible seat for a low cost boat, and has good weight capacity. Most likely will have to purchase it through a dealer, vs. a big box store. Cedar Creek Outdoors in Dallas, shows stock. You can look up dealers in your area.