Your Experience

spencer12

In everyone's experience, what time on average do your turkeys leave the roost? I know there are a million factors that go into this equation, but I'd just like to get some feedback on the subject. Feel free to list factors that contribute to the fly down times as well.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
On average I hear most of the birds I'm on, that are excited gobbling, fly down when the forest floor gets light enough for them to see good. Hay fields and cow pastures sooner.
I did have one this spring, youth weekend, that stayed in the tree till an hourish/ hour n a halfish after daylight. That was a first for me. Or at least the first that I clearly realized.
I'm a very excited turkey hunter and used to call to them right when I heard them on the roost. I have had 2 occasions where gobblers came to me in the dark. Both ended up as no kill. I'm still very excited turkey caller but I learned to contain myself and start calling only when I can shoot.

devolve

Wet days they stay longer. They hate being wet (heavy). I’ve seen them stay in the tree an hour after daylight in FL years ago during a rain storm.

Mark K

Banned
Without calling, well after daylight.
With calling, well after daylight.
I have yet to see a turkey fly down while it was too dark to see. And that goes for every species I’ve hunted. Fly down is about the same for them all.
Going to roost is the crazy part. Seen some wait until almost dark and some before the sun has even set.

Wayne D Davis

In my experience in great weather with slight winds or calm they hit the ground at the break of dawn. I've noticed during heavy overcast, high wind and heavy rain some stay on the limb past 9.

In everyone's experience, what time on average do your turkeys leave the roost? I know there are a million factors that go into this equation, but I'd just like to get some feedback on the subject. Feel free to list factors that contribute to the fly down times as well.

I've had them fly down at 7:15 and I've had them fly down at 10:00

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
There are no set rules on flydown. Some wait on hens, weather, danger that walked under them to leave. Some fly down when you can barely see them. Some stay up there until church starts with their head under the wing. Some require an alarm shot. I'm still curious if they flew back up on roost on the last eclipse.

buckpasser

I shot one (probably technically before legal shooting light) once that was in a very competitive environment with several other Toms in fresh burned pines. I did a fly down cackle and he immediately pitched, basically in the dark. As a matter of fact it was so dark I looked at some other turkeys still on the roost in the predawn sky while I was retrieving him and as I slipped out they were still burning it down. Usually they fly down after good light and about 15 minutes after you think they should have, except in fields. Expect no norm from them.

earlyspur

I've seen them run my thermacel out of gas in May and I had to leave them sitting sometime close to lunch. But I have also shot them in the timber when all I could see was the white of their head.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
My very limited experience, gobbling at 0700, on the ground by 0730-45.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
There are no set rules on flydown.

This.

For every one that stays on the roost in the rain, theres another one getn his head blowed off at 715a when he hits the ground. (This year's personal experience)

I'll 2nd the notion there are NO set rules on flydown.

They do it when the pea in they're head tells them its time. But theres no alarm clock...its Turkey time. Read some of Col Tom Kelly's books. Gotta start with "The 10th Legion" lol

Garnto88

You never know . Every situation is different. That’s the great thing about turkey hunting