Pitch glue

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
While I was cooking a brisket today I made a few spoils of pitch glue.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I need to make me up some more. I have some good clear rosin I gathered off longleafs. Made up a couple of bottles of the bug repellent that Nessmuk used in the 1890s, and had some left over.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I need to make me up some more. I have some good clear rosin I gathered off longleafs. Made up a couple of bottles of the bug repellent that Nessmuk used in the 1890s, and had some left over.
I use a 33% +- mixture of pitch, beeswax, and charcoal for pitch glue. What's the recipe for Nessmuk's bug repellent? I remember reading it long ago, but it has slipped my mind.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I use a 33% +- mixture of pitch, beeswax, and charcoal for pitch glue. What's the recipe for Nessmuk's bug repellent? I remember reading it long ago, but it has slipped my mind.

Steve, it`s 3-2-1. 3 parts pine rosin, 2 parts castor oil, 1 part pennyroyal oil. Melt the rosin over low heat, add the other two ingredients and simmer till blended. Don`t let it come to a boil.

trad bow

Put wrong pic in got it right now. Pine rosin, hardwood coals and rabbit droppings.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
That looks like a good drawin salve. Its look reminds me of ichethemal.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Put wrong pic in got it right now. Pine rosin, hardwood coals and rabbit droppings.
I was wondering about the other pic. :) That looks like it should be great for hafting stone points.

Big7

The Oracle

Rabbit droppings?

I'm lost. Is this something a "preper" could use/store. What's it for, glue? I'd like to get the scoop on this one. Sounds interesting.
THANKS !

trad bow

Pitch glue is a primitive glue made by aboriginal peoples. In this instance I’ll be using it for fixing points on arrows.
The rabbit droppings are used as a binder in the formation of the glue. You can use something else but the droppings out of herbivores has already been processed and is easier to use.