Opinions on Ram trucks?

normaldave

GON Weatherman
That 6.4 combined with the 4.10 gears will haul the mail.
Yep, I agree, for a 2500, Ram 6.4 Hemi Crew 4x4 combined with a nicely equipped Tradesman package is the "mostest for the leastest".

Here's a good example. (nothing about this particular dealer, just found a variety of choices there).
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew 6.4L
Factory trailer brake controller, receiver, 7-way plug
The window sticker system is down right now, but it appears as options:
Chrome package,
Power Package (windows, locks, mirrors with remote keyless entry)
Off Road Package (protection group, bilstein shocks, decal)
Rambox cargo system
Wheel to wheel sidesteps
Rear view camera system
Power trailer mirrors, and lighting system
The industrial rubber flooring is handy on the muddy days too.
I think this one is a 3.73.

I guessed ribber's wife might not want a 2500 for a daily driver, but hey, it's a lot of truck (potentially) for the money. Me? I doubt I'll ever buy new, but I'll help you spend your money, ha!

Ok, here's a very similar truck window sticker, 4.10, fifth wheel prep package, cab clearance lights, but no Rambox cargo system. (Ginn in Covington).
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman

Last edited:

00Beau

Yep, I agree, for a 2500, Ram 6.4 Hemi Crew 4x4 combined with a nicely equipped Tradesman package is the "mostest for the leastest".

Here's a good example. (nothing about this particular dealer, just found a variety of choices there).
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew 6.4L
Factory trailer brake controller, receiver, 7-way plug
The window sticker system is down right now, but it appears as options:
Chrome package,
Power Package (windows, locks, mirrors with remote keyless entry)
Off Road Package (protection group, bilstein shocks, decal)
Rambox cargo system
Wheel to wheel sidesteps
Rear view camera system
Power trailer mirrors, and lighting system
The industrial rubber flooring is handy on the muddy days too.
I think this one is a 3.73.

I guessed ribber's wife might not want a 2500 for a daily driver, but hey, it's a lot of truck (potentially) for the money. Me? I doubt I'll ever buy new, but I'll help you spend your money, ha!

Ok, here's a very similar truck window sticker, 4.10, fifth wheel prep package, cab clearance lights, but no Rambox cargo system. (Ginn in Covington).
2018 Ram 2500 Tradesman
If you use Ginn, See Ryan, that is where my 18 Powerwagon came from, traded in a 12 Powerwagon, the 12 had 4.56 gears so it would tow like crazy.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Ford is coming out with a 7.3 gasser. It will be interesting to see the mpg, hp, torque and towing capacity on it is. I think it is Super Duty trucks only, a F250 would be a nice step up from the F150.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
OP here. Definitely not getting a diesel. The truck will be a daily driver/grocery go-getter and occasionally pull my bass boat to the lake.

Well what do you know...I thought I kept up with this kinda' stuff. Did the rest of you Ram truck folks know, you could order a Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew 6.4L Hemi, add a Power Wagon package to it, and end up with a Power Wagon for a lot less than a Power Wagon usually sells for?

Example in Arizona:
cu-0.jpg

Ram 2500 Tradesman w/Power Wagon
Ram 2500 Tradesman Power Wagon (Cottonwood, AZ)

I think my wife would LOVE it as a daily driver/grocery-getter/bass boat hauler, (Hope this helps...) :rockon:

See...now y'all have me looking at trucks, which I have no business looking at!

ryanh487

If I were in the market for a new truck, I’d go buy this one tomorrow.

Great price...
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...elper.selectedEntity=c26682#listing=229261687
I looked at that truck the day I bought mine. I went with the 2017 they had though, to meet my budget. It's a nice truck.

They still owe me my second key that they couldn't track down though, and the salesman and manager have stopped responding. They're about to get a disruptive in person visit as soon as I have time to make the drive down there again.

stringmusic

I looked at that truck the day I bought mine. I went with the 2017 they had though, to meet my budget. It's a nice truck.
The only thing I’d want different is the big radio and a center console, but to get that I think I’d have to special order one or step up the trim package which steps up the price tag.

They still owe me my second key that they couldn't track down though, and the salesman and manager have stopped responding. They're about to get a disruptive in person visit as soon as I have time to make the drive down there again.
I don’t blame ya on that man, I’d be pretty upset too. I’ve never had any dealings with them, they just still have 18’s on the lot and seem to be the cheapest around.

pushplow

For what's it's worth, I currently have 3 Rams (everybody needs 3 trucks:)
1999 1500 SLT, 2WD, single cab 318 with 325,000 miles - my daily driver 55 miles/day
2004 1500 Laramie 4X4 quad cab, Hemi, 125,000 miles
2016 3500 4X4 Dually, Cummins diesel, 25,000 miles

I've had the transmission rebuilt in the 1999 about 12 years ago. When I'm ready for another one, it'll be a RAM

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE

When I bought my truck it only had one key.
Part of the deal was to give me a second key.
So I forgot about the second key and drove away.
The salesman later gave me the run around and finally we agreed to split the cost. He said the cost was $100. Really it was $50 I guess so he tried to get over on me. I went to pay the $50 and said the salesman agreed to pay half. After he confirmed, my final cost was $18 and I left with the second key, a hat and a factory new manual.
I imagine the salesman ended up ticked after all was done.
He called me 20 minutes later and got no answer. Lol.
They also wanted to put a permanent dealer’s sticker on my truck and I wasn’t having it.

ryanh487

When I bought my truck it only had one key.
Part of the deal was to give me a second key.
So I forgot about the second key and drove away.
The salesman later gave me the run around and finally we agreed to split the cost. He said the cost was $100. Really it was $50 I guess so he tried to get over on me. I went to pay the $50 and said the salesman agreed to pay half. After he confirmed, my final cost was $18 and I left with the second key, a hat and a factory new manual.
I imagine the salesman ended up ticked after all was done.
He called me 20 minutes later and got no answer. Lol.
They also wanted to put a permanent dealer’s sticker on my truck and I wasn’t having it.
The dealer ID tag hanging off my key said it was 1 of 2, and he said the service tech that checked the key out last hadn't put it back and wasn't in that day so he'd track it down for me that Monday when ther guy was back in. Followed up and got "we're working on finding it" 3 times and then no further responses.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
If you buy a new truck, it comes with 2 keys. If you buy pre-owned it may or may not. If it doesn't have the 2nd key, you need to negotiate it before you settle on a price and have it in writing. If they cant give it to you at the time of delivery then I would hold back on something of equal value such as extra key for your trade or a couple hundred bucks

NOYDB

BANNED
Varies by brand and model. But some keys have a chip that must be programmed to the vehicle to work. The salesman may promise, but the dealership may not be equiped to deliver. Get all promises in writing.

ribber

Possibly buying a new truck sometime this year. New truck will be the wife's daily driver and we will use on trips, so primarily a pavement truck. Only interested in Ram or Ford. Never owned a Dodge/Ram so not familiar with them.
The Ram 1500 seems to be slightly more bang for the buck than Ford, but I'm nervous about the Ram's 8-speed tranny. Heck, nervous about the Ford 10-speed also. That many gears just doesn't seem right.
Been looking used, but apparently the newer trucks don't depreciate like they used to, holy cow. Might as well buy new.

So,
Went and test drove a few new Rams and Fords this weekend at 4 different dealers. Each model had almost identical options and sticker prices (XLT and Bighorn). The wife preferred the Ram for it's car like drive/ride.

Didn't push too hard for best deal at the Ford place ($40K OTD), but did at the Ram place and OTD price was $38K. Apparently, the 'internet price' most dealers advertise is dependent on stipulations. Like, $1000 trade-in incentive, $1000 'if you finance with us', etc, etc, etc. Seems having a good income, telling them I already have financing, not trading in, and 820 credit score doesn't mean anything at a car lot anymore.

We didn't buy either truck. May try again later in the year or at different dealers. Haven't bought a vehicle in over 5 years, but it appears the old school haggling game that worked so well for me in the past is no longer as effective.

ClemsonRangers

the dodge is probably going to have more storage for odds/ends, i went from a ford to a dodge earlier this year, only 15K miles but the dodge seems ok, cant get used to that knob thingy to put it in go

Buck70

the dodge is probably going to have more storage for odds/ends, i went from a ford to a dodge earlier this year, only 15K miles but the dodge seems ok, cant get used to that knob thingy to put it in go
I can't either. I keep trying to shift with the A/C knob and turn the A/C down with the gear selector.

NOYDB

BANNED

Keep in mind that the dealer has bought the truck from the factory to sell to you. They are out their money or financing cash for every truck you see on the lot. They want to sell you a truck. And in the way that makes them the most money. But there is a point where there is no more room to lower the price. That's when they let you walk out the door.

Arm yourself with facts. Know what vehicle you want and what a realistic price for that vehicle is. Keep in mind that salesperson's job is to sell you a vehicle. Today.

They will try every combination of financing, rebates, interest rates or what ever they can come up with. Whatever it takes to get you to sign a deal.

Because of online shopping you are competing with those that did research on line. So there is not as much room for the dealer to offer a lower price as the was. But the salesmanager will try to make more money off a trade if they can.

poohbear

Don't ever never buy a vehicle without all the keys. You will never get them and you will have to fork over 150 to 300 dollars for them. I've been burnt a couple times like this and I've made this my rule. I do t care if the deal is about done I'm walking if they don't have all the keys. Good luck

ryanh487

Don't ever never buy a vehicle without all the keys. You will never get them and you will have to fork over 150 to 300 dollars for them. I've been burnt a couple times like this and I've made this my rule. I do t care if the deal is about done I'm walking if they don't have all the keys. Good luck

Actually I found a key fob on Amazon for $19 and batteries+ down the street programmed it for $40. $59 was worth not having to drive back out to union city and spend 3 hours of my day plus half a tank of gas trying to get the other key.

tree cutter 08

You got that right! Took 3 months to get extra key for new truck I bought last year. Talk about great service.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Just read thru this whole thread. Very interesting at the different experience's people have had.
I will be getting a new "to me" truck next year. It will not be a ford. I have a 2007 with 120k on it. I had to replace both headers at 109ks. That plus a tune up cost me about 2k. Then a hub actuator went out another $500. Now im having problems with the 4wd again. They say I need a new transfer case. Gonna cost me another 1500 - 2000k.
My last truck was a 1997 Dodge 1500. I had it for 10 years. Only thing I did outside of normal was put a water pump on it. It wasn't even the pump. When I got it all apart the hose had a hole in it. Truck had a 100k on it at the time so I replaced it anyway.

Ive been leaning towards a dodge.
I haven't thought about the Nissans being built in Tenn. Im going to take a look at them too.

Latest posts