Use of Marijuana (and other THC) in Moderation a Sin?

LittleDrummerBoy

If using marijuana (and other THC) is a sin, even in moderation, then please make a compelling case from Scripture.

If using marijuana (and other THC) is not a sin, then please make a case why it is permitted for a Christian. Would a regular marijuana user be welcome in your church? Qualified for leadership?

welderguy

Anything you do to alter your mind is going to have consequences. Whatsoever you sow, so shall you reap. Its not even a matter of sin or not sin.(faith, or lack thereof, determines that) It's about the heaping of destruction upon your own head. There's a better way. A sober life is always better than a non-sober one.

"Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh to and fro, seeking whom he may devour."

Last edited:

buckpasser

I’m not a user, but I would lean on the “drunkenness” scriptures for this one. Assuming it was legal, and you could use an appropriate amount to gain some physical benefit without “losing your edge” or getting high, I guess I could see it being “allowed”??? Seems like a stretch. Maybe not so much of one for some sort of oil or other measured use. My grandfather’s life was saved by taking Marinol pills after fighting cancer. I don’t think he’s in the wrong for it and he’s certainly a believer.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Galations 5:19-21

19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries,divisions, factions, 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.…

that word, sorcery, in the Greek language is pharmakeia. It is where we get our word pharmacy. It deals directly with the use of drugs or administering drugs.

If you notice, it is proceeded by idolatry. In those days it was common practice to worship idols, and take mind altering drugs in the process. That is why Paul tied the two terms together.

Apparently Paul didn't think that believers should be engaged in such behavior

Big7

The Oracle
I don't partake. I do have a Baptist buddy that hits church every time the door flies open, and he will preach to you at deer camp and bless his meal at Mickey d's at lunch and don't care who sees him. He was riding his motorcycle a while ago with his wife of 24 years. They got hit from behind. It killed his wife instantly and messed him up bad. He was touch and go for a few days. As soon as he could travel, he went to one of those inpatient clinics in Colorado. Although they didn't actually smoke it, he was put on some of the oil. He said it was 10x better than the opioids he was getting here in Georgia from his regular Doctor. He told me it didn't make him "high" or euphoric. He's home now, back to work and does just about anything he could do before. I believe in science. If I'm hurt (and I am) I want some science on my team, along with God. Just Sayin'

LittleDrummerBoy

Galations 5:19-21

19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries,divisions, factions, 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.…

that word, sorcery, in the Greek language is pharmakeia. It is where we get our word pharmacy. It deals directly with the use of drugs or administering drugs.

If you notice, it is proceeded by idolatry. In those days it was common practice to worship idols, and take mind altering drugs in the process. That is why Paul tied the two terms together.

Apparently Paul didn't think that believers should be engaged in such behavior

I find this answer personally compelling for myself. But it's a hard case to make in discipling others that this Scripture constitutes a command of Scripture against smoking marijuana (or other recreational uses of THC). Lots of things are linked with idolatry and witchcraft in Scripture, and they are not all forbidden in instances where they are separated from idolatry and witchcraft. Eating meat is fine. Eating meat sacrificed to idols is not. Etc.

For me, the most straightforward and compelling case against marijuana and other THC (even in moderation) is Romans 13:

13 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer.5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Not only is use or possession of marijuana illegal, it is also illegal to own or possess a firearm if one is currently a marijuana user. Lying about it on the Federal Form 4473 to obtain a firearm is a Federal Offense.

I also question the ability to use modern marijuana in moderation. That stuff is very strong and hard to use in moderation. I know of many Biblical and modern examples of alcohol use in moderation. I know of none of marijuana use in moderation. People smoke pot to get high.

In every case of marijuana use I have ever known of personally, more than one of these principles indicates the use is excessive to the point of sinfulness. Consider these principles of moderation adapted from the drinking discussion:

1. The excess is compulsive - one cannot stop even though one wants to stop or knows one should stop.
2. The excess is taking significant time or resources away from commitments and Biblical obligations.
3. The excess is harming third parties or putting them at significant risk.
4. The excess is illegal (driving impaired).
5. The excess often leads to sin in predictable ways (stealing to support drug or gambling habits, leading to fighting, sexual sin, or driving impaired).
6. The excess leads to predictable health risks as do excessive smoking, eating, and drinking alcohol.
7. Family members/spouse are asking you to moderate behavior and you are unable to.
8. The excessive behavior makes one into a taker dependent on the enabling actions of others rather than a generous giver.
9. The excessive behavior is masked and hidden by deceit and dishonesty.

Even things like hunting and fishing can be sin in excess if pursued to excess according to the above criteria.

As far as I can recall, the Bible only warns specifically about excessive drinking, eating, and idleness as sins. But the lack of self-control, lack of care for others, selfishness, and self-harm are sins that often accompany excessive behaviors.

The above principles are probably useful far beyond "How do I know if I'm eating/drinking/smoking too much?"

The question of "what is too much?" is an important part of defining "moderation" as relates to marijuana.

Artfuldodger

Is addiction a sin? How is it related to drunkedness? It's preached today as a disease. It affects all types, races, and income levels. It's a terrible thing but does one have to overcome or just want to overcome?

transfixer

I don't comment over here generally, discussions about religion can get out of hand,, but I'll throw my two cents in this,

I am not a toker experimented with it when I was in my early twenties, just didn't see the appeal, I now use the legal CBD oil for sleep, as it doesn't help me with my arthritic pain as I had hoped, but I don't see where using marijuana or its products would be against the bible, of course bible scriptures can be interpreted many ways, according to who is doing the interpreting, its a natural plant, can it be abused ? sure ,, just like most things,

But many made medicines can have many effects on your body and mind, many of them much worse than the effects of marijuana, opiods can kill you if abused to excess, I don't believe marijuana is capable of such. If its a sin to partake of marijuana, then it should also be a sin to take vicodin, or Percocet, or any painkiller which can alter your brain signals.

I'm not an overly religious person, I have gone to church on a regular basis in the past, not currently though, I trust natural herbs and remedies much, much more than I do anything the doctors prescribe,,

LittleDrummerBoy

Is addiction a sin? How is it related to drunkedness? It's preached today as a disease. It affects all types, races, and income levels. It's a terrible thing but does one have to overcome or just want to overcome?

We need to take care to obey the Scripture, "Do not go beyond what is written."

Addiction is a psychological/medical concept that has some overlap with Scriptural concepts. But the standards of Scripture are firm and immovable; whereas, psychological definitions and diagnostics change over time.

If an action or character trait is described as sin in Scripture, then no psychological or medical description or categorization can change the fact that it is a sin, addiction or otherwise.

Likewise, if an action or character trait is not described as a sin in Scripture, then no psychological or medical description can turn it into a sin.

A few examples:

Sex addiction: if it involves lust or sexual immorality, a diagnosis of sex addiction does not change its sinful nature. On the other hand, the frequency or intensity of consensual sex between a husband and wife (or a man and his legal wives) would not be sinful even if categorized as addiction by psychology.

Caffeine addiction: many American adults have a physical dependency on caffeine, including withdrawal if use suddenly ceases. But in the absence of a compulsion leading to some sin (as described in the principles of moderation above), it is not a sin.

Food addiction: The Scriptural sin is gluttony, the signs of which would be apparent in light of the moderation principles above. But in the absence of gluttony, a food addiction would not be a sin. One might say they are "addicted" to ice cream with strong daily cravings for a moderate amount (say 8 ounces) of a favorite flavor and perhaps even withdrawal symptoms if they go without.

The governing principle is self-control. Can the behavior be moderated and put on hold when needed due constraints relating to legality, time, money, or other resources? If not, then the Scripture in play is likely "Everyone who sins is a slave to sin" and the sinful excess has lead to a slavery to the sin. If so, then (as long as the behavior is not inherently sinful), then there really is not a problem, someone was likely just enjoying their Christian liberty in a way that seemed out of balance to other parties.

Last edited:

kmh1031

The Bible does not mention marijuana or similar drugs by name.

But it contains principles that rule out the recreational use of such addictive substances.
Consider some principals that may guide the Christian today:

The need to control our mental faculties. “You must love your God . . . with your whole mind.” Matt 22:37, 38.

Also 1Peter, 1:13. “Keep your senses completely.”

A person cannot fully control his mind when abusing drugs, and many people even become addicted to them.
Their minds focus on obtaining and using drugs rather than on upbuilding thoughts. Philippians 4:8

Obedience to secular laws. “Be obedient to governments and authorities.” Titus 3:1,
In many countries, and the US the law strictly controls the use of some drugs.
If we want to please God, we should obey secular authorities. Romans 13:1

Taking it a step further regarding smoking,

The need to be holy. “Present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God.” Romans’ 12:1
“Let us cleanse ourselves of every defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” 2Cor 7:1

Smoking is unnatural and incompatible with being holy, that is, clean and pure because tobacco users intentionally consume toxins that seriously damage their body.

Just my two cents