Coyote trapping question

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
First off I know how to set a trap and already have supplies and have caught a few coyotes several years ago and just with life and hunting everything in season and fishing, I spend enough time away from family (wife) that just haven’t had time , but am really about to teach myself how to catch coyote , to my question... I’ve been feeding the deer pears near a feeder that has has protein feed in it since Turkey season and hardly any coyote pictures until pears , I had over 100 pictures this week of coyotes, most in the morning in daylight , I was thinking of digging a angled hole and filling it up with pears and setting a couple traps and try my luck , maybe with a little coyote or fox pee , do y’all think this would work or what would y’all try , thanks ! I just think I owe it to the animals I love to chase and try to get rid of as many as I can 208B4E66-CE89-418B-87A2-0631A2D818F1.jpegF615DBB4-992C-46A4-93DC-BA0CD8F6B4DE.jpeg253373CB-3184-43D2-9732-5E187131E1E2.jpeg

blt152

I agree with Oldguy. Make a scent post set with coyote urine. I would double set this with one trap in front and one in back if no backing other than the post. If they are coming in regular to your pears a place to leave their mark to let others know they've been there might just do it. I would also backtrack and find their approach route and set a flat set using bait and lure. This time of year I would try a bait that is mouse based or something like Mark June's Widow Maker with Persimmons along with a shot of urine. Good luck.

jakebuddy

This time of year with that much activity I would think it’s close to a den. Knowing that I would make a few punch hole or dirt hole sets that they have to pass to get to the pears.

antharper

Staff member
Thanks a lot , I’m gonna set a few Monday... the pears don’t stay long , between the deer and coyotes they are usually gone in a day or 2 , also I was thinking with the pears the deer would probably trip my traps, I just didn’t want to educate them as they seem pretty comfortable rt now and no trapping has been done in this area besides for raccoons in forever that I know of , again thanks for the tips , I did kill one a few weeks ago in same field with a call BF95B4AC-1C4A-404C-A87B-74FBD39213EF.jpeg

Mark K

Banned
I wouldn’t set on the pears, but I’d have several sets out just past the shade in the one pic. I’d space them enough to have multiple catches as well.
A scented log/post as one, a small dirt hole that’s obvious, but not obtrusive. And a couple compass sets.
Stay away from Fox urine...deer like that too much. Some coyote or bobcat pee would work. I wouldn’t use pears as bait either. The deer are there for the pears and coyotes too, but give the coyotes some liquid bait down the hole. All the other sets would be gland lure or urine. If they are coming in regularly anything new should catch their attention. And go real light on the gland lure.

antharper

Staff member
I wouldn’t set on the pears, but I’d have several sets out just past the shade in the one pic. I’d space them enough to have multiple catches as well.
A scented log/post as one, a small dirt hole that’s obvious, but not obtrusive. And a couple compass sets.
Stay away from Fox urine...deer like that too much. Some coyote or bobcat pee would work. I wouldn’t use pears as bait either. The deer are there for the pears and coyotes too, but give the coyotes some liquid bait down the hole. All the other sets would be gland lure or urine. If they are coming in regularly anything new should catch their attention. And go real light on the gland lure.
Thanks Mark , what kind of gland lure do u recommend ?

furtaker

I'm not Mark but I've had good luck with Dobbin's Coyote #1 and Mark June's Songdog Supreme for coyote gland lures.

willie1971

I'd try to make a few flat sets so you cant see them yourself after you make the sets - very natural and undisturbed if possible. i think recent-made dirt holes freak them out and they avoid in the near term. for a flat set - just a q-tip of lure in some brush/backing, mix it up with different urines, should work if they are still around.

willie1971

i'm sure they can smell vicks better than we can. no question predators will find odd. i would use something else unless in a pinch

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
i'm sure they can smell vicks better than we can. no question predators will find odd. i would use something else unless in a pinch
A old trapper here used it a lot. I watch him do his sets. He would just above his set stick a dap on a twig. Other sets he used a old hand drill in a bank and stuck a piece of squirrel tail out. Deer tail. Or feathersof a sort.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
He also after trapping a young bobcat would put it in a pen with a pan under it to get Urine.
Fed it meat and water.