Ocmulgee Shoalies?

Killer Kyle

Hey y'all. I just moved down to middle-ish Georgia for work. Down to Jasper County.
I plan on hitting the Ocmulgee to do some wade fishing for shoal bass soon. I was wondering what your favorite flies for shoal bass are in this part of the state to use now and throughout the fall? Any unique patterns? What is your go-to if you don't mind sharing.
Thanks guys. Maybe I'll get to see ya in the river! Tight lines!!!

boissage

A Harry Fodder works great. There used to be a link on Georgia River Fishing that has the recipe for tying.
Black wooly buggers work well.
Stealth bombers for top water.
An RLD as a dropper will also work.

Killer Kyle

Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate it. I have never fished stealth bombers. I'll have to figure out how to tie some. Never heard of a Harry Fodder pattern either. I'll. Have to look it up. I'm assuming the stealth bombers float really well since they are foam. Have y'all ever tried a dry-dropper technique like lots of folks do for trout?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would assume they would like anything that river smallmouth like. Stealth Bombers, Tequeelys, Wiggle Minnows, Kraft's Klawdad, Hellgramite, Clousers, any kind of streamer tied with lead dumbell eyes, bunny strips, rootbeer cactus chenille, webby saddle hackle, and rubber legs.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Kyle, is this move going to slow you down in the mountains?

boissage

Kyle;
A stealth bomber with an RLD dropper is a good combo.

Ga river fishing has a link with how to tie the SB, Harry Fodder, RLD and other flies.

NC Hilbilly is correct. Any smallmouth fly would work.

I moved from the N. Ga mountains years ago (I've moved back home 3 years ago). Shoalies are fun to catch. It's similar to trout fishing on a larger scale, with larger flies and heavier rods.

Good luck!

Killer Kyle

Kyle, is this move going to slow you down in the mountains?
Maybe just a little man. I'll hopefully make it up there 3-4 times this fall and winter to hunt. I'd still like to drop a bear or two even though I'm a few hours from the hills.
Good thing is that walking so much in the mtns has conditioned me well. I hit Clybel WMA two days ago, and walked +- 17 miles just to see what I could see. Walked roads, around ponds, dove fields, and down dire breaks and hunter access trails. Walked for 9 hours straight. Most of my hunting will be down here henceforth, but can't nothing keep me out of the hills! :)

Killer Kyle

Great info boissage! I am going to look into those resources ASAP!!

Killer Kyle

I've never been one to be known for tting good streamers and crawdads. Guess I'm about to have to up my fly tying game! Thanks Hillbilly!!

Killer Kyle

You have a PM.

Thanks Nic!!! You're the real pro!! I'll pay special attention to your advice!
My next real goal is to find me some redfins, and to see if I can manage some on a fly rod. I've been bushwhacking the creeks on Clybel since I came down here, but as far as I can tell, none of them look like redfin streams. I'm headed south towards Doublin within the next couple weeks to see if I can find some there.
Thanks for the solid advice Nic!!!