Are Head Coverings for Women Biblical?

LittleDrummerBoy

Are head coverings for women Biblical? Does your wife wear one?

Artfuldodger

I can remember when women wore head coverings to Church. I think it's in one of Paul's epistles. Women have special laws or rules such as head covering, not wearing braided hair, gold, or pearls. Also not teaching over men and man being the head of woman in a marriage.

All of that was the norm until around 1970 in the Baptist Church. I think the more Pentecostal and Holiness Churches still follow Paul's teachings.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
So the question is were the Baptist’s before 1970 wrong? Or are the new ones right?

gordon 2

What's with the belt buckle cross?

LittleDrummerBoy

1 Corinthians 11 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

This is the passage that governs my conclusion that head coverings are Biblical for women when praying or prophesying. But I am careful not to go beyond what is written to suggest head coverings at other times. I have instructed my wife to cover her head when she prays or prophesies, and she submits to her husband in this matter.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have interest in this topic

The primitive Baptist still do this as well as sit a part from the congregation and separate male and female.

Artfuldodger

1 Corinthians 11 5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off; but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.

This is the passage that governs my conclusion that head coverings are Biblical for women when praying or prophesying. But I am careful not to go beyond what is written to suggest head coverings at other times. I have instructed my wife to cover her head when she prays or prophesies, and she submits to her husband in this matter.
Paul states some other differences between men and women as well. I say differences as he he goes all the way back to creation to explain it. Man was made first and then woman from man, etc.

Anyway, Paul states that women aren't suppose to wear fancy clothes, braided hair, gold or pearls. I do know that some Pentecostals follow some of the "rules" or "guides" of Paul such as long hair on women and shorter hair on men. Some Pentecostal women don't wear gold or pearls.

I''m just not sure how much of Paul is required.

I think the scripture quoted answered the head covering question. Not to argue but I’ve seen several references about the Apostle Paul and questioning his relevance. Peter and the other 11 were sent first too the Jews. Paul was specifically sent to the gentiles. Unless you are a Jew and have held to the Jewish customs your whole life, you are a gentile. Everything Paul wrote or preached is relevant and nowhere and by no one is his contribution to the Bible questioned in the scripture. Just because someone doesn’t agree with what Paul said doesn’t excuse them from answering to God for the disobedience. God personally sent Paul on a mission Paul was not a “self called” TV evangelists. Disregard Paul’s teachings at your own peril. I for one would not like my chances standing in front of God at judgement trying to explain why I felt the apostle he called was not worth listening too because I felt I had a better understanding of what God wanted.

Artfuldodger

I think the scripture quoted answered the head covering question. Not to argue but I’ve seen several references about the Apostle Paul and questioning his relevance. Peter and the other 11 were sent first too the Jews. Paul was specifically sent to the gentiles. Unless you are a Jew and have held to the Jewish customs your whole life, you are a gentile. Everything Paul wrote or preached is relevant and nowhere and by no one is his contribution to the Bible questioned in the scripture. Just because someone doesn’t agree with what Paul said doesn’t excuse them from answering to God for the disobedience. God personally sent Paul on a mission Paul was not a “self called” TV evangelists. Disregard Paul’s teachings at your own peril. I for one would not like my chances standing in front of God at judgement trying to explain why I felt the apostle he called was not worth listening too because I felt I had a better understanding of what God wanted.
Then "It" is written!

I do find Paul's mission to the Gentiles to be different or perhaps better defined as "to the Gentiles." That's a pretty big Biblical concept.

It does somehow show a difference between the Jew and Gentile yet at the same time there is no difference concerning salvation. Concerning salvation, there no longer a difference between the Jew and Gentile. Concerning Paul's teachings, perhaps there is.

Artfuldodger

So the question is were the Baptist’s before 1970 wrong? Or are the new ones right?
Good question, if Paul's stance on homosexuality stands, then why not his stance on women? Their submission to their husband. Head coverings. Not wearing fancy clothes, braided hair, gold, & pearls. Not teaching over men.

I think it changed during the Women's Rights movement of the 60's. Back when women burned their bras, lol.

Good question, if Paul's stance on homosexuality stands, then why not his stance on women? Their submission to their husband. Head coverings. Not wearing fancy clothes, braided hair, gold, & pearls. Not teaching over men.

I think it changed during the Women's Rights movement of the 60's. Back when women burned their bras, lol.
You make a good point. Why would anyone think that time has in some way changed Paul’s message or in anyway rendered it obsolete? There were gays and probably trans gender freaks in Paul’s time they just feared for there life and stayed mostly hidden. The fact that they are running rampant in broad daylight now doesn’t mean it’s right. I think some people are confused and think that the world has changed so much since the Bible was written that we now need to add to or modify its contents to fit the current time. That is a lie the devil is trying to sell you. Everything in the Bible is just as applicable today as it was the day it was written.
Sodem and Gomorrah was destroyed for things common in the US today, and the ending will be the same.
The Bible clearly says in Deut 22:5 a women wearing anything pertaining to a man is an abomination. It also says a man wearing women’s garments also an abomination.
Jesus said multiple times in the New Testement that he came to fulfill the law and scripture not change it. When Jesus was walking the earth there was no New Testement it was”THE” word of God the only Bible they had. Matt 5:17-5:18 Jesus said he came to fulfill the law and that not a single verse or punctuation mark will be changed until both heaven and earth disappear. So until there is no earth the Old Testement stands. Gods stance on Homosexuality, women’s dress and actions all stand until the end. Just because someone has convinced you that it’s OK for a women to wear men’s clothing or vice versa ...it’s still wrong.The scripture on a women praying without her head covered still stands unless you have a Bible scripture that nullifies the original scripture.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
You make a good point. Why would anyone think that time has in some way changed Paul’s message or in anyway rendered it obsolete? There were gays and probably trans gender freaks in Paul’s time they just feared for there life and stayed mostly hidden. The fact that they are running rampant in broad daylight now doesn’t mean it’s right. I think some people are confused and think that the world has changed so much since the Bible was written that we now need to add to or modify its contents to fit the current time. That is a lie the devil is trying to sell you. Everything in the Bible is just as applicable today as it was the day it was written.
Sodem and Gomorrah was destroyed for things common in the US today, and the ending will be the same.
The Bible clearly says in Deut 22:5 a women wearing anything pertaining to a man is an abomination. It also says a man wearing women’s garments also an abomination.
Jesus said multiple times in the New Testement that he came to fulfill the law and scripture not change it. When Jesus was walking the earth there was no New Testement it was”THE” word of God the only Bible they had. Matt 5:17-5:18 Jesus said he came to fulfill the law and that not a single verse or punctuation mark will be changed until both heaven and earth disappear. So until there is no earth the Old Testement stands. Gods stance on Homosexuality, women’s dress and actions all stand until the end. Just because someone has convinced you that it’s OK for a women to wear men’s clothing or vice versa ...it’s still wrong.The scripture on a women praying without her head covered still stands unless you have a Bible scripture that nullifies the original scripture.

Not to be argumentative but wasnt what is considered man or women’s clothing different in different regions of the world based on that society’s norms? Particularly in gentile societies

If all the Old Testament still stands isn’t eating pork and shrimp is still a sin?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think people spend way too much time worrying about nitpicky stuff like this that doesn't make a lick of difference one way or the other, myself. I find it hard to believe that God has nothing better to do than sit up there keeping a hat/no hat list to drag out on Judgement Day.

Artfuldodger

Not to be argumentative but wasnt what is considered man or women’s clothing different in different regions of the world based on that society’s norms? Particularly in gentile societies

If all the Old Testament still stands isn’t eating pork and shrimp is still a sin?
Wasn't the Old Testament though for the Jews? Then Paul comes along with a revelation from God to present a different list of rules of the Gentiles. I think that was what Longbeard was saying before he went back to the Old Testament.

Artfuldodger

Concerning clothing, wasn't women in America wearing dresses until society's norms changed and made it OK for women to wear men's clothes. If it's OK for society to dictate Paul's rules on women as changed by society, then it's OK for society to dictate Paul's rules on homosexuality and, well everything else for that matter.

It really does make you wonder why God would care if women wore men's clothes, gold, braided hair, and pearls by today's standards. I'm not sure why God had these rules for women being so different from men unless he wanted man to be the head of woman.

So now society, including Christianity, has redefined Paul's rules from God concerning women and will soon change even more of Paul's rules as society accepts other changes.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that society changes religion more than religion changes society.

Artfuldodger

Look how grace vs works has changed over the decades from the 50's until now. As Christian society has changed, we see grace as becoming more the answer when in the past, we saw works as more the answer.

Even though both grace and works are scriptural.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Concerning clothing, wasn't women in America wearing dresses until society's norms changed and made it OK for women to wear men's clothes. If it's OK for society to dictate Paul's rules on women as changed by society, then it's OK for society to dictate Paul's rules on homosexuality and, well everything else for that matter.

It really does make you wonder why God would care if women wore men's clothes, gold, braided hair, and pearls by today's standards. I'm not sure why God had these rules for women being so different from men unless he wanted man to be the head of woman.

So now society, including Christianity, has redefined Paul's rules from God concerning women and will soon change even more of Paul's rules as society accepts other changes.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that society changes religion more than religion changes society.

My point is societies that were never exposed to the Word or the Old Testament May have had different ideas for men and women’s clothes than the Jews

The people in every America were from Europe and had already been exposed to the word.

Artfuldodger

Apostolic Pentecostal women consider their hair their head covering and thus that's all that's required. I haven't really delve into the matter that much as to how they justify that with Paul's scripture.

They do discuss how different women's hair is different from place to place and other races. So maybe hair as a covering for women is in relation to one's race or how much hair they have.

Interesting also would be if Pentecostal Churches as well used to wear head coverings until they re-read scripture with different goggles.

Last edited: