Shrimping 2019

WalkinDead

Banned
Went to St. Andrews last night, three other nets on the beach. Made two pulls, one 7.5 gallons, the other 4.5 gallons for a 48 quart limit. The shrimp were thick and small. Everyone got their limit, I'm sure. We were done in an hour and headed back home. Some nights are just better than others. Looking forward to October when the shrimp will be twice the size they are now or bigger. I'll update this post with a picture when the ice melts a bit.

Attachments

• Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 50

Bobbrown

Just out of interest.....do you ever see fish actively target the shrimp when your out. You would think by the amount you catch the game fish would be thick

WalkinDead

Banned
We do catch a few trout, redfish, flounder, croaker, needlenose gar, even small tarpon, ladyfish, etc. along and along. When the mullet are running, we have caught up to 200 pounds in one pull. But nothing I would call major activity and few signs of fish actively feeding on the shrimp. The beach we are pulling doesn't have the type of structure they normally feed on.

WalkinDead

Banned
Went to Jekyll to check out how well St. Andrews fared through the storm. Looks like about 8" of sand lost off the beach, that may well be back in a couple of weeks. Didn't look like any of the trees on the beach got re positioned and didn't appear to be any new ones.
Did manage to pick up a decent Redfish off the pier while we were there.

Attachments

• Redfish.jpg
    Redfish.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 49

drtyTshrt

I purchased some Pautzke Crab and Shrimp Fuel at Bass Pro Shop to soak my crab bait chicken in. I wonder if is illegal to cast a net around my sets while crabbing? Would this be considered baiting for shrimp?blue fuel.jpg
fuel.jpg

thomasa

In the fall where is it a good area to net some shrimp? I was thinking about sneaking away for some fresh shrimp one weekend. I would imagine just throw a net back in creeks or ride around in the bay? Will that produce a good haul? Gulf coast or ga coast? Thanks in advance

WalkinDead

Banned
Made it to the beach last night. Approximately 45 lbs of mixed shrimp in two hours, mostly small, but some jumbo's in the mix and everything in between. Things are picking up size wise and most of the shrimp we caught were freshly molted and will be half again as big in a week.

Attachments

• Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 41
  • Shrimp1.jpeg
    Shrimp1.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 41

Rhodes

Sounds good.....thanks for the update walkingdead. I plan to make the trip this week and was wondering if you seen any signs of oil on the water from the capsized ship off the north end of Jekyll. Also would like you to weigh in with your thoughts on the matter since you are local....thanks.

WalkinDead

Banned
So far little to no leakage from the vessel. I personally do not think the cargo shifted, I think they turned too wide and just ran aground on the channel edge which has just been dredged. Those people who load those cars do it every day and know what they are doing.

WalkinDead

Banned
Went back to the beach last night, same results about 45-50 lbs. of mixed shrimp in three hours. Had the beach to ourselves.

Attachments

• Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 36
I would love some shrimp, but don't think it is worth it with all of the fuel/oil in the water. You can smell the fuel in creeks in SSI.

WalkinDead

Banned
We're catching these at the sourth end of Jekyll, at St. Andrews pic nic area. Didn't notice any smell nor feel any oil on me after spending three hours in the water.

GONoob

I would love some shrimp, but don't think it is worth it with all of the fuel/oil in the water. You can smell the fuel in creeks in SSI.
If it's not an active leak why can't we pump out all the fuel/oil before it becomes a disaster? I have property in Valdez, AK and to this day you can still find oil. Just curious if anyone has insight on this.

Rhodes

Walkindead we were at St Andrew's park on Thursday night and I noticed that now the current runs north to south along the beach on a rising tide. I've been going to Jekyll ever since 1998 and the current has always ran south to north on the incoming tide. I think that split in the current used to be north of the bridge. Have you noticed this and is it due to the storm you think?

WalkinDead

Banned
It is not as bad now as it was after the hurricane two years ago when we lost about 30" of sand. The beach slowly recovers over time and one must realize that this is a living ecosystem that constantly changes for many reasons inshore and offshore. No two years are ever the same...

WalkinDead

Banned
Went to the beach last night with friends. Caught about 15 lbs of tails and a cooler full of big mullet. Better get the mullet while they are here if you want some. Size of the shrimp has improved.

Attachments

• Shrimp.jpg
    Shrimp.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Mullet.jpg
    Mullet.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 63

WalkinDead

Banned
Not at all. A light breeze, enough to keep the sand gnats down, and no waves to speak of. It was a split tide and bright moon, which explains the low number of shrimp.

WalkinDead

Banned
A split tide is when either a high or low tide occurs in the middle of your time seining which forces you to either wait out the high tide or wait for the water to begin flowing on the low tide so the shrimp will move back in toward the shore.
In effect, you're shrimping both tides, the bottom of one and the top of the other or vice versa.
During ebb tide, the shrimp go back out deep and bury themselves in the sand to prevent predation. Once the tide begins to move good and stirs up some silt they feel safer and come shallow again.