Oldest artfacts so far

oppthepop

I do, Ken, I sincerely do. I`ve been fortunate to see a couple of collections that will never see the light of day. Artifacts and numbers of them that would astound anybody. Things that are local to the area.

South Georgia and north Florida have some projectile points and blades that will rival anything from Texas, Pacific northwest, and the Hopewell Complex.
One should do some research and study the vanished tribe of Timucua native Americans, of which my mother's side of the family is a direct lineage.Quite interesting.

oppthepop

The Timucua inhabited Nic's stomping grounds in Southeast GA and Northeast Florida. mostly unheard of "tribe" that basically vanished or assimilated into the Seminoles when the Spanish came. My deceased aunt did years and years of research on them, but sadly the research was all on paper and lost in a house fire right after she passed away.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Timucua inhabited Nic's stomping grounds in Southeast GA and Northeast Florida. mostly unheard of "tribe" that basically vanished or assimilated into the Seminoles when the Spanish came. My deceased aunt did years and years of research on them, but sadly the research was all on paper and lost in a house fire right after she passed away.
I've got a good old book called "The Indians of the Southeastern United States" by John Swanton that has a lot of plates of DeBry's old engravings from the 1500s of Timucua Indian life.

oppthepop

I've got a good old book called "The Indians of the Southeastern United States" by John Swanton that has a lot of plates of DeBry's old engravings from the 1500s of Timucua Indian life.
NCHILLBILLY that is awesome! I will look to see if I can find that book. thanks!

I was down with what Graham Hancock was saying till he started on telekinesis and the pyramids. Kinda lost me there. History is fascinating enough without the supernatural angle to me.

Tentwing

Nic, I live close to and work in Manchester TN. There were Welsh coins from the 1100’s found in ,or around the old Fort here on the Duck River. Most people attribute the presence of those coins to Madoc ,or some of his people.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have read some pretty convincing theories about the Mandan Indians being descended from Madoc's Welsh colony.

oldguy

Man I was forced to sit through 3 quarters of chemistry, two of physics, and calculus and I coulda' been listening to these guys and actually learn something! Something that woulda' stayed with me my whole life. AND I could still be learning about!!
I'm gonna' relay this to a 7th grade teacher friend of mine that teaches gifted kids. Do the World a favor and pass this on!

KentuckyHeadhunter

Glad this thread led to such interesting conversations. I watched both Rogan podcasts with Hancock and Carlson (over 6 hrs!) and finally finished them today. I'm blown away by this information but my question is that if this cataclysmic event happened that wiped out the Clovis culture then why do we have layers above that with early Archaic material? Leading all the way through to the woodland period and beyond? Why are there so many mammalian remains and fossils that don't display a period of instant extinction?

Philhutch80

Banned
Glad this thread led to such interesting conversations. I watched both Rogan podcasts with Hancock and Carlson (over 6 hrs!) and finally finished them today. I'm blown away by this information but my question is that if this cataclysmic event happened that wiped out the Clovis culture then why do we have layers above that with early Archaic material? Leading all the way through to the woodland period and beyond? Why are there so many mammalian remains and fossils that don't display a period of instant extinction?

Well it is similar to when the dinosaurs were taken out; only the smaller mammals survived that cataclysmic event 65 Mil years ago. With the Younger Dryas event, if it was a meteor or comet it was much smaller than the one that hit ending the Jurassic Period. Fascinating stuff though isn't it? I happened to be working in Montana around Missoula in 2017 when I discovered their podcasts and saw first hand the 'bathtub ring effect on the mountains both there and further south along the Madison River valley as well.