Muzzleloader for Colorado Elk Hunt (iron sights)

Heading to Colorado next year for an elk muzzleloader hunt. Looking for recommendations for a good muzzleloader with iron sights.

shdw633

Depends on your budget but I would recommend the Remington 700 Ultimate ML for a muzzleloader that has some reach and punch to it.

TJay

Whatever you buy make sure it conicals well as bullets with a sabot are not legal in Colorado. Some muzzleloaders were designed for shooting saboted bullets and may not shoot conicals as well as saboted bullets. No Excuses and Thor make good bullets that are legal in Colorado. Also if you plan to utilize shooting sticks it wood be a good idea practicing using them.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I don't like that they run quota limited muzzleloader units with over-the-counter archery. I've heard that crowding is a real issue for muzzleloader, but we had very few issues during the first rifle season.

flconch53

Does Colorado allow in lines now.? As I recall they didn't used to. By the way I am a new member. I used to have a muzzleloadind shop.in NC. I have followed GON for awhile as my partners daughter and her family live in Savannah.

TJay

Does Colorado allow in lines now.? As I recall they didn't used to. By the way I am a new member. I used to have a muzzleloadind shop.in NC. I have followed GON for awhile as my partners daughter and her family live in Savannah.
Yes inlines are now legal.

plumber_1969

I don't like that they run quota limited muzzleloader units with over-the-counter archery. I've heard that crowding is a real issue for muzzleloader, but we had very few issues during the first rifle season.

Been there for the last two weeks of archery which coincides with that week of muzzle loading. Never seen the crowds. Walk in a mile or two and we would literally see no one. Over a 5 day hunt we saw two guys that passed us and peeled off in a different direction than we were going. Do not call from 2 tracks or rads, the elk are big but not that stupid.