Time for the Reward

GPHC

I have had the pleasure over the past three years to have my daughter (8yr) accompany me on my hunts. When the alarm goes off at 4:45-5:00 she is up ready to go before I can get my coffee made. She has never had any problem sitting in the stand to lunch time, unless there is a need for a potty break which has not happened much. We have accompished alot, she knows as much if not more concerning hunting than any of the boys in the club.

So I that I would reward her for her hard work and patience. My problem is what to buy I would like some of your advice on the .243 or .223. We have the scope already but not sure which company makes a good solid long lasting gun for youth.

Thanks in advance

Jeff Phillips

GPHC - I would look at a gun for the short term (no pun intended). She will grow a lot over the next 5 or 6 years.

With my daughter I found it was critical that the gun fit her well. An 8 year old is going to be too small for most youth guns, the stocks are simply too long.

I took my old Marlin to a good gun shop and got the stock cut off to fit, with a 1" recoil pad. She's 20 now and shoots either a Rem. Mountain Rifle in .243 or a BAR in .308 now.

If I were you I would do 1 of the following:

Buy her a NEF Handy Rifle in .357 Mag and cut the stock off to fit. Then buy her a quality bolt action when she is 14 or 15. The .357 will hammer a deer out to 100 yards with a rifle barrel and the recoil is very tame in a heavier gun.

or

Buy a Model 7 in .243 or 7-08, cut the stock to fit, with a good recoil pad. You can always buy a replacement in a full size when she has grown some.

Get her something she can enjoy learning to shoot with and fits her well. She probably needs a length of pull around 10" to 10 1/2" now.

Enjoy these times with her, that's as good as it can ever get!

Just my $.02 :)

Toliver

I don't remember the make but several years ago a young girl in our club had a .44 rifle. That calibre in a handgun would have knocked her on her tush but in a rifle it was short, light and had little kick to it. It was perfect for kids. I had the pleasure of taking that young lady out to the woods and watching her kill her first deer, a small spike, but had to let her use my 30-06 with a scope because the deer was a ways off. But that .44 was perfect for kids hunting where their shots were around 30 to 40 yards.

Last edited:

Randy

I second Jeff. Get the Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08. She will not be able to tell the difference between the 243 and 7mm-08. If you go with the 7mm-08 she will never need another gun. Besides, while some people choose the 223 or 243 for their light recoil they really are better suited for the experienced hunter because due to the bullett size they need a more perfect shot placement which is generally not within the ability of a new young shooter. Good luck and good hunting.