Heard County Opening Weekend!

Meriwether Mike

Heard County 10-16 & 17: We had a lot of hunters for opening morning. It was a slow start to gun season with only a few deer seen and only one taken. On opening morning I got skunked and only heard 3 shots. On opening evening I hunted a food plot and saw three deer. A button buck, a four point and the doe that I took. This morning was quiet again with only 2 shots heard and I saw nothing again. There was shooting going on somewhere as Norths Deer Processing in Roopville took in 100 deer on opening day. They were lined up in the parking lot when I arrived with my doe. There were 3 nice bucks brought in. A nice 18" wide ten point, a heavy beamed 8 point and another I could not clearly see in the cooler. My deer was number 182 so Norths definately had a slow bow and muzzleloader season.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
BUCK STOPS HERE club

We all saw deer opening morning, but no shots. I saw a pretty 8 (no idea how pretty) and a doe, one member saw a deer butt and another saw 3-5 deer (could not tell if it was the same deer he had been seeing that morning and could not tell the sex).

That evening I saw a doe and 2 yearlings. No one else saw anything.

Sunday morn I saw 2 does and no one else saw anything.

Sunday eve no one saw anything.

Long weekend with few sightings and no shooting.

Jim

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Saturday morning I jumped a small deer in some thick pines as I was coming out, though I couldn't tell what it was. It was bedded down only about 50-75 yards from where I had been hunting all morning. Saturday evening I could here deer all around me, though none ever showed themselves.

No big deer were seen this weekend at least that I'm aware of, though there were many deer seen and/or heard overall and Mike broke the ice with his big nanny Saturday evening.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
We had four people hunting opening morning. I was the only one that saw any deer. I had one bedded under my stand and jumped it going in (don't know what it was). About 9:30 a.m. I had a yearling feed across a ridge. Saturday afternoon no deer were seen.

Sunday morning just me and my dad hunted. At 8 a.m. I had a deer feeding right towards me in some thick stuff, could only see it's body. It got about 30 yards away and noticed something wasn't right. It spooked and that was that. I know it didn't get my wind and it didn't see me, so I don't know what happened.

You are right about North's not getting many deer. Ray told me when I brought my doe in 3 weeks ago that it had been very slow. He said that Oct. 2 (Sat.) he only had two deer brought in. He only had two nice bucks come in before that a 7pt and 8 in velvet killed by a father and son.