550 pound boar from Tuckahoe WMA

Keith48

Here is my trophy. I am supposed to have the mount back in 4 weeks and will post a better picture of him then. Just for reference, he was over 5 feet long and the hog behind him (that's me) weighs 380. All I had with me that day was the camera on my Palm Pilot and it was only 1 megpixel, so sorry about the bad photo! I'll get a better one up when I get the mount back. He was featured in the December 2003 GON.

I was hunting down in the swamp when I saw him. I shot him with a .30-06 behind the shoulder. He ran across a road and into the woods on the other side. I walked to where he crossed and there was a huge blood trail. I eased into the woods and he was standing there looking at me about 30 yards away. I started looking for a tree! I realized he was really hurt and did not come after me too fast, so I shot him in the shoulder when he turned broadside (I knew that head was going on the wall!!). He started limping around on three legs, so I popped him in the left ear with the last round I had with met that day. He hit the ground immediately that time. When I walked up on him, I could not believe how huge he was.

550hog.jpg

Arrow3

Awesome hog, Keith!!

Didnt you say he ate good too??

Handgunner

I hear ya!

That's what I'm wanting. The biggest, blackest, stinkinest, baddest, longest tuskedest, one out there -- with my handgun. :D

Great Hog, Keith! What did the cutters look like?

Timberman

Are you

using two scales and adding them together? That spells big hog! :cool:

Keith48

I'll give you a good close up of the tuskies when I get him back. And he is good eating. Seems like we have been eating on him forever and we are almost halfway through the meat!!

The DNR guys that were at Tuckahoe that day weighed him with two 275# scales and he bottomed them out pretty good. They were saying he was probably close to 600#, but I like to stick to the weight the scales showed, which was a combined 550#.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man thats a lot of pork

H

HT2

I remember that one!!!!!!!!!

Lot of pork there Keith.....

You still got some in the freezer???? ::huh: ::huh:

dbodkin

How did you haul it

Out of the swamp? No ATV an all????
Man that would have been a long drag....

Keith48

Dan,

I hooked the winch to him and backed the 4 wheeler out of the woods (about 100 yards) and backed onto the trailer!

Lthomas,

Nope. He had all his equipment! But I cut those oysters out within 5 minutes of him hitting the ground, which I think made the big difference. I really don't know that it makes a difference - I have a friend that swears it does - but I cut off his fountain as well. Whatever I did, it worked! That is the best tasting hog I have ever eaten and my wife says that as well. It is better than store-bought stuff! His stomach was full of acorns, mostly.

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
I got some video of one a tuckahoe. he looked like he would top 600 lbs, he was a monster! I filmed him fighting another boar that was about 300 lbs. it was a awsome sight! the sad thing was I saw him just one day before the hunt opened, when I got in the woods to hunt him I didnt see him again. I guess it was a good thing, because the area was really thick! if I had seen him he would have only been about 5 steps away, and I was having to hunt on the ground. I made sure that I was sitting beside a tree that I could climb quickly! there was piles of p##p in the area the size of a 20 oz coke bottle.