Trailer help???

Jeff Phillips

Looks like I'm going to start using my trailer more to haul my 4 wheeler and gear to camp and back. It has been parked for the most part for 2 years. I havn't had a lot of experience with trailers, so maybe this is a dumb question, but...

How do I pack the hubs with grease? There are no fittings on the trailer?

H

HT2

Jeff......

I may be wrong but you can buy some grease fittings to go on the hubs, to where you can periodically keep them full of grease......

It's pretty quick and easy.....

They are definitely worth it..... :D

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Tater,

The best thing to do is pull it over to my house one evening & I'll do it/help you.

Jeff Phillips

Jeff - What are you doing Monday evening? :p

stumpman

Banned
The easiest way is to go to the parts store and buy some buddy bearings with the spring loaded grease fittings and fill them with a good quality grease i have 5 trailer and thats what i use works fine and not very expensive.

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Those bearing buddies are nice.

Jeff Phillips

Jeff Young said:
Why have y'all been keeping those things a secret?

How much do they cost?

Jeff - Northern has them for $14.99! I think I'll wait until I can get over there and get a set. Call me!

Arrow Flinger

Wally World carries them too for about the same price. They make keeping the bearings greased so much easier. Make sure you know the size of your hubs though since they come in several different sizes. The easiest thing to do is take a dust cap off your hub with you and match it up.

Al33

Hey Jeff,

Might want to check yor lights and wiring before you take off for Jeff's.

If you have to replace the bulbs, be sure to use leather gloves. They can get hard to get out after sitting for awhile and often break in the process.

Al

Razorback

Jeff,

I'm gonna jump in and ask some questions about my trailer's bearings as well.

My boat tralier has those buddy bearings but my utility trailer & my camper do not but I want to get some for them.

Should the tire & wheel asymbly rock side to side? ::huh: My guess is thats not good. Are there standard sizes for the axle's buddy bearings?

Razorback

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Razorback?!?!? You are correct!!! :speechles

That ain't a good thang!!!

Sounds as if your bearings are shot!

From what others have posted here, there are different sizes for the Bearing Buddy.

Arrow Flinger had a great idea, take your dust cap to the supply house to get the correct match.

Hambone

Guys,

A boat/marine dealer will have these Bearing Buddy's also.

Razor, I'd take those bearings out and have a look at them. They could be worn OR could be the jam nut just needs to be snugged up.

Hambone

One other thing that I thought about (after I pulled my trailer around for years :banginghe ) that may be helpful is to get yourself a spare tire for your trailer if you don't have one. A flat tire could ruin an otherwise good weekend. Cheap insurance.

Something to think about ...

Jeff Phillips

Arrow Flinger said:
I checked yesterday and the bearing buddys were 9 bucks at Walmart.

Sounds like a bargin to me :D

frankwright

Bearing Buddys can be great but don't let them lull you into a false state of security. Bearing Buddies only work if your seals are in great shape and stay that way. They supposedly keep the grease under some pressure that prevents water from getting into the hub. If you put too much grease in, they can push through the seal and there goes your pressure. Check the inside of your wheels and if they are throwing grease...Worry!

Yes, I have always had them on my boat trailers and have only had one bearing fail. Not a good thing at 65 MPH.
If you use your trailer a lot, I would still pull the bearings, clean,inspect and relubricate every year. Most camping trailers don't use the buddys, and some of them really rack up the miles. For a four wheeler trailer you just use during hunting season, regular packing of your bearings and the standard hub caps will not let you down either.
Just another opinion.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
packing bearings is messy buy a bearing buddy and make it simple eddy