Wildlife Photography

Just found this site and wanted to say Hi!
I really enjoy Wildlife Photography and would like to talk camera's, lenses or techniques with anyone interested.
Here is a couple of recent shots. Taken with a Nikon D1X and a Nikkor AFS 200-400mm VR Lense.
Hope you enjoy.
Regards,
Todd Huffman- Trinidad, CO

woody9.jpg

nuthatch.jpg

Ga-Spur

Those are really outstanding. Good to have you aboard . Maybe you can teach us how to do that kind of work.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Welcome Todd...

Very nice indeed! Looking forward to more, and from learning some of the tips of the trade, so to speak :)

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Good to see you on board Todd. Most of us are not up to that type of work, but can still admire and learn.

Welcome.

Jim

Meriwether Mike

Welcome to the campfire Todd. Nice pictures. :bounce:

rip18

Great pictures!

Great pictures, Todd! We're glad you are here!

Where are your favorite places to take pictures?

BTW, for everyone else, unless I am wrong, Todd is a world-class avian taxidermist. (How many Todd Huffman's from Trinidad, Colorado can there be?) If you ever want to see some really beautiful bird work, take a look at some of his.

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Welcome Todd H

to Woody's :clap:

Some of us digital "auto" shooters can sure use any professional advice you want to share with us :)

Awesome pics, :clap:

leo

mike bell

Todd,

I was in Trinidad going to gunsmithing school from fall 91 to summer of 94. Did you have a taxidermy shop on the south side of town somewhere? I went to a shop with a guy I hunted with, Carter Miller. One day I rode with him to take some ducks out to a shop and your name rings a bell. Just wondering if that was you cause I think it was and we probly met. After I saw some of those birds mounted, I have always wanted a couple pair of resting Wood ducks mounted in my den or office when I build a house.

I'm saving up for a digital camara for wildlife photography. Thanks for posting those pictures. They are awesome :clap:

pendy

Todd

Welcome to the fire. Thanks for sharing your pictures, they are great. I would give anything if I could take pictures ilke that. :)

pendy

Ga-Spur

What a beautiful sunset. Where out west was it taken?

mike bell said:
Todd,

I was in Trinidad going to gunsmithing school from fall 91 to summer of 94. Did you have a taxidermy shop on the south side of town somewhere? I went to a shop with a guy I hunted with, Carter Miller. One day I rode with him to take some ducks out to a shop and your name rings a bell. Just wondering if that was you cause I think it was and we probly met. After I saw some of those birds mounted, I have always wanted a couple pair of resting Wood ducks mounted in my den or office when I build a house.

I'm saving up for a digital camara for wildlife photography. Thanks for posting those pictures. They are awesome :clap:

Hi,
Yes, that would have been me. I remember a guy named Carter Miller. I have moved since then to a larger 10 thousand sq ft studio still in Trinidad. The business still amazes me with over 1500 nationwide clients. Last year my studio produced over 6000 bird mounts.
I too started my photography with smaller consumer grade camera's. As my learning and understanding became more advanced, I found I needed better camera's and lenses to capture what my eye was looking for.
He's a shot taken yesterday for everyone to enjoy. Wishing
everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.
turkhead.jpg

Bowbender said:
Todd, your photos are great, nice to have you aboard. Is Trinidad any where close to CO springs? I have relatives there and was planning a trip out there, would like to see your work if it's not to far. Great pics again and welcome.

Bowbender

Hi,
The studio is about a 80 miles south of Springs.
Thanks

rip18

You got a "Wow!" out of my wife on both the woodduck & the turkey and some other sound of assent with the nuthatch. Whenever I get to where 1 out of 200 of my shots comes out like those, then I'll feel better. Your focus & lighting were great! The composition was good too!

Kudos!

Duff

Great pics. Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing. Keep em coming.

What power zoom do you use for wildlife photo.?

Also, what power zoom would you recommend for an amature when taking pics of wildlife?

DSGB

Awesome pictures, Todd! Really like the Woodduck.

Ga-spur,
That picture looks familiar. Have you posted it on here before? Looks great!