Georgia Outdoor News Forum

Georgia Outdoor News Forum (http://forum.gon.com/index.php)
-   DIY Archery (http://forum.gon.com/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Wind checkers (http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=904460)

Fishin & Hunting 08-28-2017 08:28 PM

Wind checkers
 
Been making some DIY squirt bottle wind checkers. I have tried flour as my powder. Is there a better powder to use in them?

Thanks

Hillbilly stalker 08-28-2017 09:04 PM

I tell ya a little secret that has worked for me for a lot of years. I still hunt hogs on public land and everybody knows how good there nose is. I quit fooling with the bottles years ago. Go find you one of them old squeeze change holders like the older people put in their pockets. They have a slit cut thru the middle of one side. Squeeze it open and fill it up with the head of a cattail reed. It will last for years and when you pull a piece out and let the wind grab it, you can see it in the wind for a long ways. Their getting harder to find, old hardware stores have them and some wal-marts have them in the pharmacy section. I give away a lot of them to guys who hunt like me. .79 cents :flag:

Hillbilly stalker 08-29-2017 06:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one. You can run a cord thru it and run it around your wrist also. You can track it in the wind farther than the talc powder they use.

NCHillbilly 08-29-2017 07:53 AM

If you're using the powder ones, baking powder will work much better than flour.

Randall 80 08-29-2017 12:26 PM

Cornstarch

Fishin & Hunting 08-29-2017 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Will give them all a try

Woodsman 09-01-2017 07:39 PM

Corn starch in a eye drop bottle, if you use the powder.
Down feathers work good.

james243 09-06-2017 01:31 PM

Cut off about 6 inches of para cord then take out the plies of cord from inside the outer sheath. From one of the plies I take perhaps 10 individual fibers and glue or tape them to the weapon I'm hunting with for a permanent and continuous indicator of wind direction

Hunter922 09-06-2017 03:28 PM

Unscented dental floss.

Hillbilly stalker 09-06-2017 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hunter922 (Post 10874907)
Unscented dental floss.

I like the unwaxed floss. I tie a 10-12 inch piece on my stabilizer or barrel and then shred it with my knife . Works great.

Jack Ryan 09-06-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishin & Hunting (Post 10862031)
Been making some DIY squirt bottle wind checkers. I have tried flour as my powder. Is there a better powder to use in them?

Thanks

Dog fur in a film canister and a thread on the end of my barrel is what I use.

Jack Ryan 09-06-2017 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hillbilly stalker (Post 10862115)
I tell ya a little secret that has worked for me for a lot of years. I still hunt hogs on public land and everybody knows how good there nose is. I quit fooling with the bottles years ago. Go find you one of them old squeeze change holders like the older people put in their pockets. They have a slit cut thru the middle of one side. Squeeze it open and fill it up with the head of a cattail reed. It will last for years and when you pull a piece out and let the wind grab it, you can see it in the wind for a long ways. Their getting harder to find, old hardware stores have them and some wal-marts have them in the pharmacy section. I give away a lot of them to guys who hunt like me. .79 cents :flag:

That change holder is a GENIUS idea there. :fine:

7Mag Hunter 09-12-2017 09:20 AM

I use a 4-5 oz squeeze bottle, with carpenters line chalk....comes in
different colors ( i use blue)...Fill the bottle about 1/3 full and
give the bottle a shake and a couple of squeezes and you know instantly which direction of the wind ..

Ben Athens 10-08-2017 07:43 PM

I use a piece of white thread about 8 to 10 inches long. I unscrew the broadhead put the end in there then screw it back on. I also tape a piece to my rifle barrel.

chase870 12-31-2017 04:56 PM

I use a Bic lighter real easy to see wind direction

goshenmountainman 01-04-2018 09:31 AM

When I am in the mid west I use milkweed, comes in its own carry case and your can watch it for at least thirty yards. Floats on the currents better than anything I ever saw. I have never seen it in Georgia around here and I don't use it here, don't want another weed I will have to get rid of in the hay fields.

Deer Fanatic 01-04-2018 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall 80 (Post 10862991)
Cornstarch

Thats what I use ... works great

JSnake 01-09-2018 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goshenmountainman (Post 11045286)
When I am in the mid west I use milkweed, comes in its own carry case and your can watch it for at least thirty yards. Floats on the currents better than anything I ever saw. I have never seen it in Georgia around here and I don't use it here, don't want another weed I will have to get rid of in the hay fields.

This. I bought myself a milkweed plant (asclepias tuberosa aka butterfly weed) at Pikes and planted by my mailbox. I pull off the pods and let them dry in a brown paper bag on the dash of my truck. You can pull several hunting seasons worth of fibers in one year.

Ben Athens 01-13-2018 12:28 PM

I also put corn starch in a squeeze bottle with some rice in it.

Gaswamp 01-23-2018 06:16 PM

tag


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 Georgia Outdoor News, Inc.Ad Management by RedTyger