Penetration tests

ANYBODY EVER DONE A PENETRATION TEST ON TURKEY LOADS IN THE BACK YARD?. I KNOW ALL THE HYPE IS ABOUT PELLET COUNT BUT IT DONT MEAN DIDLY IF THEY CANT KNOCK OVER A WOODCHUCK. I TESTED SEVERAL 3" LOADS OF HEAVY 13 MAG BLEND, WIN. EXTENDED RANGE IN #5'S AND NITRO CO. TRIPLEX LOADS. MY TURKEY GUN IS A 11-87REM. WITH A 30" BARREL AND A .660 RHINO CHOKE. ALL 3 LOADS MENTIONED PATTERN EXCEPTIONALY WELL AND I'VE TAKEN MANY BIRDS WITH EACH BUT TO ME I WASN'T SATISFIED UNTIL I FOUND OUT WHAT WAS HITTING THE HARDEST. SO... I TAPED UP A BUNCH OF PHONE BOOKS AND WENT A ROUND WITH EACH LOAD AND I FOUND THAT EXTENDED RANGE HAD FAR MORE DEEPER PENETRATING PELLETS THAN THE OTHER LOADS USING HEAVY SHOT BUT HEAVY SHOT TORE UP MORE PAPERS ON THE INSIDE DUE TO THE SHAPE OF THE PELLETS SO KNOW I'M WANDERING WHAT DO I WANT ?PENETRATION OR TISSUE DAMAGE? SOUNDS LIKE PICKING A RIFLE BULLET DOESN'T IT. ANY ONE GOT ANY MORE INSIGHT ON THE SUBJECT?:banginghe

Timber1

BANNED
Why would you use turkey loads on a woodchuck? I would think if your looking for tissue damage you would stack a bunch of kleenex instead of phone books.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Try it on a Prince Albert can.

BgDadyBeardBustr

Gone But Not Forgotten
Try it on a Prince Albert can.

I agree Nic!

If you look up Blong or Hawglips in the search link at the top and search their post, you will find what you are looking for. I know both guys have done their own test with different loads!
Good Luck,
Tim

belle&bows

No penetration test here. Just found what shot the tighest group at a specific range out of my gun and then just shoot em in the beak!

MKW

Some of y'all sure overthink this stuff. Get the turkey where he needs to be and any good patterning shell will kill him.

Mike

Gaswamp

some of y'all sure overthink this stuff. Get the turkey where he needs to be and any good patterning shell will kill him.

Mike

Amen::;

nhancedsvt

Banned
Most of the guys I have seen doing penetration tests are shooting tiny pellets (like #9 TSS). I shoot #7 Federals and have absolutely no issues. Find you a suitable turkey load in anything bigger than a #7 and don't worry about it.

j_seph

How thick is a turkeys head and neck