Ethics

GeauxLSU

Where does that guy live? He talks twice about the 'resurgence' of hunting and all the new people getting into the sport. ::huh: Not sure where that is but I hope he's correct.
He's mixing topics when he talks about ethics. Those 'dirt poor farmers' he mentions are unethical hunters. Are they unethical providers for their families? Perhaps not. He sure draws a lot of conclusions based on what someone is wearing. I know some fellows that I could describe exactly that way that could buy me outright 20 times over.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

FX Jenkins

Yep...

Healthy perspective!!! balanced view IMHO

Last edited:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
The most unethical thing that occured in his story was the fact that he did not head directly to the nearest conservation officer and turn in the poachers.

We have a duty to do so. We debated here last week the need for tags, check stations etc. and I believe we came to the realization that all those things are truly only as good as the honesty of the hunters that utilize them.

Here in Georgia we should have 300,000 check stations. That is each and every one of us. It's not always easy and most of us would not turn in folks in certain situations but we must be stiff about these matters as much as possible.

GeauxLSU

Actually the article should be more accurately titled "Situational ethics", since that is obviously exactly what it is describing.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

gabowman

In his story, if killing three deer between the two hunters were illegal then IMO it is also unethecial too since they broke laws. Not the case if hunting here though being as the limits are much higher. I know a guy that wasnt a die-hard deer hunter so he'd wait till doe day arrived (several years ago when the total limit was three deer per hunter) and he'd take the first three he had an opportunity on for meat. One particular year he tagged out first time out the shoot. Illegal?...NO. Unethical...NO. He always stayed within the laws and this was just his way of getting his deer meat for the year. I see nothing wrong with it at all. Just my two...

GB

GeauxLSU

gabowman said:
In his story, if killing three deer between the two hunters were illegal then IMO it is also unethecial too since they broke laws.
He states in his article that it was illegal for two hunters to take three deer. Yet he drove away doing nothing about it except coming up with some story in his mind about how it 'might' be justfiable to him. :banginghe And he got to write his article and admit his inaction. :rolleyes:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

MCBUCK

Come on boys. Laws were written to be followed, not to be broken. If I break the law I pay the price...the law applies to everyone and not justifiable by your socioeconomic level. What if these boys had been driving a new Chevy totin SS Browings ?? The law is for every one. We have limits ( some states anyway) for a reason , whether they are for deer, ducks, or speed limits. They apply to everyone. Jeff is right , the only un-ethical thing in this is the boy didn't call a Rabbit Deputy. :mad: