This gives me a little more confidence in Shockley at QB

Buzz

True - but don't kid yourself. DJ is no Charlie Ward and UGA is not as good of a team FSU was when Ward started for them in '92 and '93.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Here is one of the things I don't like.

" There also will be a plan for Shockley to run on passing plays. On some plays, Richt said, if Shockley's first three options aren't open, he'll take off. He might look just at a primary receiver and then scramble on some plays, Richt said. Or he might automatically run against certain coverages where no defender has the responsibility for the quarterback."

I think (and have seen him) leave the pocket waaaaay to early to run. Then he runs backwards trying to be Vick(who I don't like much and who Shockley ain't) and loses yards. I just fear he will give up on plays to early.

I wish they would let all the QB's in Spring practice try for the position. Why give up a better option if there is one just to let Shockley start.

Dog Hunter

Build the offense around him. Then when something happens to him or he doesn't cut he mustard, then what are we going to do??????????

reylamb

Richt is no idiot. If someone steps up next year or in the Spring practices and is vastly superior to DJ, they will start.

UGA hunter

I do not like D.J. Shockley at all. He is a very selfish, arrogant person. Don't get me wrong, he is a great athlete but he should not be at the QB position. He should be moved to WR. The redshirt freshman Blake Barnes should be next season's QB. Last year he was the #1 or #2 high school QB in the nation. He has a great arm and is a great pocket passer much like David Greene. If not him, it should be sophomore A.J. Bryant from Peach County who they moved out to WR this year. He is a great QB and was called the "high school Michael Vick" b/c of his great legs and unbelieveable arm. Just my 2 cents.

P.S. My uncle coached Charlie Ward in high school at Thomas County and D.J. doesn't even compare. My uncle did say that he saw the best high school QB that he'd ever seen/just as good as Charlie play last year....that high school QB was A.J. Bryant. ::huh:

southernclay

I am not a big DJ fan but I have been impressed with him staying at UGA w/o playing all these years, even with his own Dad and everyone else telling him to go get play time. I will wait to see him next season before I talk about he is as a starting QB.

Ga-Spur

Maybe we will run the option more. I believe D J would have been better at Ga. Southern.

Dog Hunter

southernclay said:
I am not a big DJ fan but I have been impressed with him staying at UGA w/o playing all these years, even with his own Dad and everyone else telling him to go get play time. I will wait to see him next season before I talk about he is as a starting QB.

Tech game was a little bit of a preview. :(

QuackAddict

Shockley's dad wanted him to get playing time but only as QB. He should have either left or changed to WR. Now he only has one year to prove himself and I think he will flop.

Deepcreekdawg

shockley selfish?

I think it is very unfair to call a guy selfish that has waited patiently for four year for his turn to play. DJ has been a team player and has showed great character in helping David Greene build team unity. It would have been much easier for him to cause dissension among the team. I have met him at basketball games and he was as nice a young man as you would want to meet.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
The tech game was not a preview of Shockley's season next year.

Next year the offense will be built to suit his skill set.

I do have a problem with the coach stating that the starting QB job is Shockley and that everyone else is playing for 2nd dtring.

Coach Donnan made the same mistake with Cocaine Carter.