7mm-08

Randy

Have I ever told you guys how great this little round is. It is not just the round but the whole package. This round in a little Remington Model 7 is the perfect whitetail medicine. It is small and easy to carry. Handles well in the stand. It is very accurate being originally design for competitive target shooting. Can take deer out to 300+ yards and has hardly any felt recoil. With the right bullet, this round will take anything in North America. Heck, even it's twin brother, the 7X57, has taken elephants in Africa. No I don't recommend it for that but for whitetail, it is the perfect combination of power, accuracy, felt recoil and all in a small compact rifle. Have I ever told you guys how great this round is?

I think I may have read something similar on here before. I am thinking about ordering a custom encore rifle barrel in 7-08. It should make a nice package.

Niner

You mean to tell me that Remmingtomb builds a rifle in 7mm-08?

And here I thought only Ruger made them. :D

.............just kiddin' of course.

Wetzel

There was a member on the old board that had the user name "Randy" that seemed to like the 7mm-08 round alot. Reckon you two guys could be related? :D

I bought a Remington Model 7 chambered in 7mm-08 a couple of months ago. So far I have been very pleased with the rifle. I'm currently working up a load for it to use during deer season. I look forward to trying this round on a whitetail.

Randy

Harkins,
Remember this is my load and it is near maximum so proceed with caution but it has worked for me.

140 gr. Nosler ballistic tip
41 gr. IMR 4895 over Winchester LR primers
COAL-2.81

That load drives tacks in my rifle. The 4895 is a relatively fast powder and burns well in these short barrells. The trick is to get the Ogive just off the lands. Good luck.

Muygrande

You know the .25-06 is a dandy little round too!!!! Not real sure if I've ever told someone my little secret about it!!! :D :D

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Jim Thompson said:
I may never shoot another whitetail with another round.

Model 7 7mm08

Jim
Jim is that shoot another whitetail or with another round. :whip: It is doe days right.

RamblinWreck

Looks like we have a quorum! My 7-08 has killed all 3 of my wall hangers over 125". It is also the cheapest rifle I ever bought new - a Weatherby (by Howa Japan) Vanguard synthetic in 7-08 I bought way back when the cal was first available standard in the 80's. $329 + a $60 Timney drop-in trigger. I floated and bedded it myself. That scratched up pitted gun has killed a LOT of whitetails and a lot of hogs, too. :cool:

My current and favorite load is the Sierra max+1 GN of VarGet, new Win case, CCI BR2 primer, with a molyed 140 GN TB Bear Claw on top off the lands 10 thou. Do NOT shoot this load without working up from 42.0 GN - new lots of VarGet are way hotter than my old batch from "98.

:shoot:

RamblinWreck

Shooting the nationals at Camp Perry, Ohio, on a nice day - what's not to like? :D

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
habersham hammer said:
If a 7mm-08 could speak it would say (when I "grow up" I want to be a .308)

JUST KIDDING !!! Randy :bounce:

Good point there HH. :whip:

Hawg

Banned
habersham hammer said:
If a 7mm-08 could speak it would say (when I "grow up" I want to be a .308)

JUST KIDDING !!! Randy :bounce:

I agree Hammer...........Too light
Prolly a good ground hog round though. :bounce:

Buzz

It's a dandy deer round just like about 25 other rounds taking bullets from .257" to .323".

However, I would disagree with you on "With the right bullet, this round will take anything in North America." Having just been to Alaska, I got close to both grizzly bears, brown bears, and moose. There is no doubt that you would want something bigger than a 7mm/08. All of the hunters, guides, and gun shop workers I spoke to said they felt the .300 Winchester Magnum was the bare minimum with the .338 Winchester Magnum being a much better choice. If you go into a gun shop they are going to have about 20 .338 Magnums (Winchester and Ultra), some .45-70s, and then a few of everything else. There is a good reason for this. A bull moose can weigh more than 1500# and you want to try your best to shoot them (and drop them) near the truck or water (so you can float them on a boat). If you shoot them with a pipsqueak and they run for 1/4 mile it will be an absolute disaster. Think for a minute how long it could take you to move 1500 + pounds of dead weight. As far as grizzly bears (or brown bears go) once you see one up close you will want the largest gun you can fire accurately. They are HUGE and they are most often encountered at close range. They also have a wonderful habit of charging you after the shot. All the bear guides say a "dead" bear can cover a lot of territory and do a lot of damage before it drops - chances are before you could reload and get another shot, so the first shot better count. With my rear on the line, give me a .338 Winchester Magnum shooting a good tough 250g bullet instead.

H

HT2

My Next Encore Barrel........

Is gonna be the 7MM-08........

I've heard good things about it, and I want to see it for myself........

But, I still ain't givin' up my "7MM"......... :D

PWalls

My dad shot the rifling out of an old gun in a 7 X 57 caliber. About the time I was old enough to shoot something other than the shotgun I started deer hunting with, he go me a 280. I killed a few deer with it and then he bought him one too. I think anything in the 7MM caliber is an awsome weapon.

Mattval

Love my 7mm-08!

Mattval

It's a dandy deer round just like about 25 other rounds taking bullets from .257" to .323".

However, I would disagree with you on "With the right bullet, this round will take anything in North America." Having just been to Alaska, I got close to both grizzly bears, brown bears, and moose. There is no doubt that you would want something bigger than a 7mm/08. All of the hunters, guides, and gun shop workers I spoke to said they felt the .300 Winchester Magnum was the bare minimum with the .338 Winchester Magnum being a much better choice. If you go into a gun shop they are going to have about 20 .338 Magnums (Winchester and Ultra), some .45-70s, and then a few of everything else. There is a good reason for this. A bull moose can weigh more than 1500# and you want to try your best to shoot them (and drop them) near the truck or water (so you can float them on a boat). If you shoot them with a pipsqueak and they run for 1/4 mile it will be an absolute disaster. Think for a minute how long it could take you to move 1500 + pounds of dead weight. As far as grizzly bears (or brown bears go) once you see one up close you will want the largest gun you can fire accurately. They are HUGE and they are most often encountered at close range. They also have a wonderful habit of charging you after the shot. All the bear guides say a "dead" bear can cover a lot of territory and do a lot of damage before it drops - chances are before you could reload and get another shot, so the first shot better count. With my rear on the line, give me a .338 Winchester Magnum shooting a good tough 250g bullet instead.

Hey Buzz how about a 404 Jeffery?