Thread: Catfish noodle
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Here is a neat-o engineering diagram I found at the 2coolfishing forum the other day. This is pretty much the "Cadillac" version. The rebar let's it lay flat if no bite has been received, but when the fish pulls on it, the end tips down in the water causing the rebar to slide down and the "noodle" will then float up instead of laying flat.

Here is a link to the site where I found that diagram. This thread also includes "how to - step by step" construction photos for these noodle "jugs".

http://www.fishingacrosstx.com/forum...read.php?t=841

I also found a set of photos of how they work - this is an example of one set out, but with no "bite" yet.

And once the fish pulls on the line, the rebar tips to one end and this is what a "bite" looks like. Another big clue is the "noodle" may be bobbing up and down and swimming around the cove as your boat gets near. Half the fun is chasing the noodle especially if you have kids on board. The fish will try and stay away from the boat, so it can get interesting. Just use your mooring hook to snag the line and then reel 'em in.

I always thought it was GA law you had to mark your jug with your name and other info, but I just checked the GA DNR site and you have to label "trotline" jug floats, but they now have a seperate section for jug fishing like this and it does not say anything about labeling the jug. It's at the bottom of the page

http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/1299

Quote:
Set hooks and Jugs:
  • Only channel catfish, flathead catfish, American shad, hickory shad , and nongame fish (those not listed under freshwater game fish daily limits) may be taken with set hooks and jugs.
  • You must possess a valid sport fishing license when fishing set hooks and jugs.
  • It is illegal to use jugs on Lake Tobesofkee and state park lakes.
  • There are no other restrictions on the use of set hooks and jugs (number of, season, dimensions, materials, etc.). However, DNR encourages anglers using these methods to check them regularly, remove them at the end of the fishing day, and avoid areas popular with recreational boaters.

I just want to know how you keep a blue cat from taking a bait in lakes with all 3 types?

Last edited by Cricket Chunker; 09-20-2010 at 08:04 PM.