Have you introduced ANYONE into hunting?

Have you introduced anyone to hunting that still hunts today?

• Yes I have!

Votes: 44 86.3%
  • I have introduced people to the sport but they are not active hunters today.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I have never introduced anyone to the sport despite trying to.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never even tried to introduce anyone to hunting.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GeauxLSU

We all know hunters numbers are shrinking so if we don't replace ourselves with at least one, preferably more than one other, the population will obviously cease to exist. Soooooo, that being said, is there ANYONE, family, friend, co-worker, whatever, that you can honestly say is an active hunter today because of YOU and only you?!?!
Sadly, I can not say that I have introduced anyone to hunting that is still hunting today. :(
But I'm working on it! :D
I also have a two year old, and I SURE hope he'll be interested, but I will not force it on him.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Last edited:

Woodsong

When I was a teenager I introduced my best friend to hunting and he hunts more than I do now! Of course, he doesn't have 2 little children and lives on property he can hunt so he is at a slight advantage!

I can't wait for my little ones to be old enough.

Great post Phil and it has got me thinking how we should all be trying to get folks to join us. My only problem is finding a place to go and time to go and hunt!

Mac

Yes, two youth

Watched my nephew "now 17" take his first deer.

A kid that played ball for me "now 17" took his first deer.

Looking for my next canidate. My son is only 4 months old.

I got more pleasure from the above than any harvest of my own.

Jeff Phillips

My children and my friend Dan.

Dan is from Ohio and he was a city boy. When he was 43 he asked me if I would teach him to hunt. I told him to buy some clothes (he's way to small to wear any of mine) and I would let him borrow a stand and rifle to see if he liked it.

He called me to advise me that he went to buy the clothes at Bass Pro and came home with a rifle :p He had bought a Winchester 70 stainless in 7mm Mag with a Leupold VXIII on top of it :shoot:

He hunted with me a couple of times that 1st year, even took vacation to go up to West Tenn. The next year he bought a Polaris, then a camper, now he has a crossbow. His best 8 point was featured as the buck of the day on the Buckmasters website.

He is in a club down close to Monticello somewhere now!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I could vote for 1 and 2. Have some who are still hunters and others who are no longer. All will keep us in a good eye though and that of course is the objective:)

Jim

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
2 sons, 1 brother in law and 1 teenager from church

Handgunner

Chalk 5 up for me... Those 5 being, my wife, two brothers, and two good friends.

Out of said 5, only 1 would I consider a "hunter" now though, and that would be my wife. During gun season, if there's daylight after work, she's in a stand.

My two brothers try to hunt every year, but they don't get all gee'd up about it like me and the wife do... The two friends don't hunt anymore, but would if asked. As far as going out and doing it on their own, they wouldn't.

I got to see my wife take her first buck and put her on her first deer... Same as both my brothers, and both friends.

I don't know who was more excited, me watching, or them getting. :)

sr.corndog

Introduced anyone to hunting?

As a old Scoutmaster and a Eagle Scout I have introduced many scouts to hunting and gun safety and the rifle range. Nothing anymore rewarding is to see the excitment in a new hunters eye when they split the center of a bullseye! :flag:

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I took my girlfriend deer hunting a few times last year. On one occasion I grunted in a nice eight-point to within 50 yards of us. He came in wheezing and grunting. He showed off for us a while by rubbing his antlers in some thick brush. After about 10 minutes he eventually caught a whiff of us and bolted. My girlfriend got so excited she swallowed her gum! :eek: She was showing off her newly-aquired hunter safety card the other day! :)

Mrbowdeadly

Great post. Yes I introduced my cousin Mike. We put mike on a powerline. He was bowhunting. He had a nice six point walking the other side. He pulled out his grunt and grunted him right in close. He said the buck walked in and looked at him (on the ground) then turned and walked away....

He forgot to shoot. Been there.

Unfortunately geography has kept my cousin and I from hunting together anymore, and he doesn't really go anymore.

Now I do have three boys that are growing into fine hunters.....

MBD

Rebel 3

In high school I introdued one of my best friends to hunting. He would go with me every weekend to different family tracks I use to hunt on. I have always been obsessed with hunting and he will never be a hunter like me, but he does love to hunt. He only deer hunts 8-12 times a year, but never-the-less he hunts. I put him on his first deer and bobcat. He is one of only 4 members in one of my clubs and we are still best hunting buddies. He usually does not go without me. Given the chance to take a young person hunting is something that should not be passed on. It has made all the difference for me. One thing is important, make sure the new person gets a quality experience in the outdoors. Take them at a time when they will probably see deer and put them in a good spot. A great first experience will probably get them hooked! Same goes with fishing.

GAR

Have you introduced anyone into hunting?

My two sons, a nephew and a daughter in law.

Told my oldest boy that if he ever wanted to get married he needed a woman that enjoyed the same things he did. When I first met his wife to be she had done a little shooting in her life. We all started to go out shooting and she enjoyed it. She ended up buying her own rimfire and a shotgun. When she turned 21 she got her concealed weapons permit. She also got her a 9mm to carry. She took over the hunting rights to my sons M77 Ruger. Killed two does 15 minutes apart. Best part is she can gut her own deer. Darn proud of her. Unfortunately both are now back in medical school and do not have the time to hunt.

Both my boys were brought up around weapons and went to hunters safety courses when they became of age. Hope they can carry on the tradition and introduce their kids to it.

BROWNING7WSM

GONetwork Member
I have introduced two friends to hunting about 12 years ago. One only hunted for 3-4 years. The other is still at it, his wife even hunts with him..Hopefully in a few years I will introduce my daughter and son to the sport...

D

dave

I have brought 2 grown men into deer hunting, both in their 30's, in the last 2 years. Both have taken to it like ducks to water.
:shoot: