Need opinions on this issue

Hawire

I've leased a tract of land for the upcoming turkey and deer season,that's the good news. A couple of guys i work with want in it with me,and that's alright.The problem is that I've been out there every weekend for a month now scouting,feeding,cutting trails,etc. by myself.I've told these guys what my goals were and that now was the time to get started so the next deer season could be as good as it is will be. One guy has stood me up twice,and one guy has not even called in 3 weeks to even see what's going on. Then there is a neighbor who wants to hunt the property with me and has offered my half of what I paid for it. He's got a 4 wheeler,and tractor with implements That he says I can use. He has also stated that his land would be added into the "club" also. To get his tractor there all I have to do is drive it down the road,I don't have to hall one from my house and burn my gas. All he wants to do is hunt and he seems to share my views on how to hunt. So the ? is what do I do?I don't want to make my friends mad,but I see what's on the horizon as far as their work eithics go. They may have a busy home life,I just think they could have let me know that they can't do anything on the weekends. Do I explain to my two friends this is business and take the other guy up on his offer,or just keep getting madder and madder? What would you do?? Thanks. :banginghe

Hawire

Do what? This is not a question on weather or not to put in food plots,etc. it's a question about what I should do with the current arrangements with members. Right now there is only 1 member and that is ME. NObody has gien me any money.I spent all the money myself,noone has helped!

Hal

If you can afford it by yourself, hunt it by yourself. That way you know exactly what is going on and when. The deal with the neighbor sounds good,but when it actually comes time to use HIS equipment is it going to be available and will he freely let you use it? Some folks don't like loaning out their equipment and I don't blame them. It could come down to you having to tell him what you want done and he'll get to it when he can.
To me the best bet is to keep it to yourself and you can invite friends if you want to.

GeauxLSU

It's January, tell your no show "friends" that y'all are obviously on two different pages so while it's early, you think it best they find someplace else to hunt. Go with the neighbor dude (but get your agreement in writing!)
YOU NEVER EVER EVER really know someone until you hunt with them. Not sure why people take it so personally, but it's best for EVERYONE when people find a place they fit in. Like I've said before, this might be your last season ever to get to hunt. Why shouldn't it be the best it can be?
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Hawire

LSU,it's Feburary. ::ke: You're right. I don't want to be left holding the whole bag on their good intentions. At least with the neighbor I'd get half the money back, and use his equipment,which will save me alot of time from having to haul mine. Getting it put in writing is another good idea,along with what is expected as far as the harvest standard and such. I'm very intense about this land,it's probably the best I've ever had, I've got tons of pictures of alot of good size deer already and I'm pumped up. :cool:

Welcome to the world of clubs

It really dont matter if it is the Lions club ,a church or a hunting club. In the real world only a few do all the work where the rest get the same privilages. If you try to put together a club where everyone shares completely in the work. Good luck myfriend. I have read on here where some clubs have several guys that do share in the work. The problem is they usually don't stay together very long. You can get too many of those types of people together and in the long run you will regret it. We have 23 members in our club. Even though we make everyone show up for work days. Put a stiff fine into place they will show. There is only about 10 or fewer I can count on to do the work. It has always been that way.

GeauxLSU

Hawire said:
LSU,it's Feburary. ::ke:
I have a head cold. Cut me some slack. :eek:
DEFINITELY draw up some rules (with an 'end date' and the ability for each party to 'opt out' for any reason) if you go with the neighbor guy. Apparently you can afford it on your own. If I could, I would, and simply invite my friends for free that I wanted to hunt with.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

jay sullivent

i though you and your friends all split the cost or something, hawire. if it's your club and your money then do whatever makes you happy. everyone wants to hunt and no one wants to work. when your friend wants to know why the neighbor is hunting in his spot one morning next year, just point out how the neighbor helped out and they didn't. or just find someone who wants in and is willing to work, if you haven't made promises yet.

gordylew

I,ve been there, done that, .. I assure you your friends that don,t have time to work on the property now, WILL find time to hunt come opening day. And won't think twice about hunting your food plots. And consider them selves great hunters when they shoot that trophy buck that walks out into that food plot. I might still let them hunt, but they would be footing the bill for the entire lease price, as well as my time I spent preparing the lease. After you give them the price of a membership they'll probably decline and then your off the hook about feeling guilty about them not hunting. Jusy my 2 pesos

CAL

Hawire,

First thing,your friends are not really your friends or they wouldn't do you the way you say they have.Like the others have posted,go with the neighbor with a written agreement that both of you have input in and you will probably enjoy it more.

When you have a good place to hunt,you will have the friends.Sorta like a good fish pond,they come with plenty friends!

short stop

Hawire ---I dont know you and visa versa-----I am the neighbor ''so say '' I havent read 1 reply here coming from someone like me #1 live in morgan co here were theres a few clubs around -----I PITCH the same line except =I dont pay a dime ---thats right nothing !!! IN RETURN I DO ABSOLUTLEY ALL THE WORK !!!! FOOD PLOTS --STAND PREP --- SHOOTING LANES --- FEEDERS +FOOD--AND ALL TRACTOR WORK ''Bush hawgin plowin etc . '' I feel like I earn my keep in a years time --in hrs no pay vs pay I'd be 4 x the average club member.I have not been turned down yet by a land owner or lease holder I approaced --in fact I have turned down an offer before because I was streching out to much and couldnt please everybody .I would go with the neighbor vs a bunch of hot air friends ''I got a few too '' .Just have a FIRM agreement on LIMITS and BRINGING GUEST -2 of the biggest problem areas on a lease ''I keep my word to land owners here show them all harvest and only take my 10 yr old son with me---no guest --SS

Last edited:

gadeerwoman

You are being used! Welcome to the club. Been there, done that....never again. You need to have a heart to heart with some fair weather friends and explain that you aren't in the business of providing a free place to hunt. Either go in with the neighbor or hunt the place yourself only.

Hawire

Made a decision today. I figured that my "friends" weren't kind enough to give me a decision in a timely manner,so I let the neighbor in. All I can say is that they waited too late. :crazy:

Lumpkin Hunter

Two things to consider with the neighbor wanting to hunt.
1. He might be the type that will hunt it when you are not there even if you don't let him pay part of the lease. Who knows?
2. Talk to him about his work schedule. Will he be someone that hunts it everyday, shoots anything. I know he sounds like he is on the same line you are from what you said, but you really don't know how people are until you spend time with them in the woods, like someone said earlier.

If you can swing it alone, I would do it alone the first year and get to know the neighbor during that time span. Then next year you might find that he would be a good hunting partner or maybe not. This will also show him what you really intend to do with the property.
With finding good land this day and time that you can swing by yourself is a very nice luxury. Being the first and only one on the lease agreement may mean a lot down the road.

Good luck.

GeauxLSU

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. (Pictures of a big bruiser would be nice. :) )
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Hawire

Update...

Well, come to find out that the neighbor is a drunk! Needless to say our relationship lasted about one day.I don't have time for that junk. Not to mention that I found out that the equipment he could get was,let's just say, I wouldn't touch it without some heavy leather gloves on. So anyway I had two other guys I know call me up and wanted to see the place. They were serious,they paid their dues right then and there! We've got feeders running with some good ole Southern Buck,food plots cut(today) and we are working on our stand locations for the upcoming year. This is going to be a great season! :yeah: :cool:

NUTT

Now the neighbor is probably mad and will sneak in shoot all your bucks. Better watch him! NUTT :shoot: :shoot:
:shoot: :shoot: