Canon Powershot S3 IS

medic1

I'm thinking of getting one of these cameras to take into a stand with me because of the 12x zoom and movie mode. It is also in my price range ($350). Does anyone have any expierence with this camera?

Last edited:

DRB1313

Great camera. There is a couple of people on here shooting them and I'm sure they will respond.

ronfritz

I see them for $301 on B&H's website.

Don't have one but like DRB says there are some on here who do.

My only thought relates to size and the usefullness of the upper end of the zoom without a tripod. I'd get some feedback from others regarding how much use they get out of a 12x zoom while in the woods.

Even though it has Image Stabilization, you might find that others feel you still need a tripod.

I take my wife's pocket sized 4x zoom Sony when I feel compelled to travel light. Otherwise, I go out with my SLR, a tripod or shooting stix (get double duty out of the stix)....basically I look like a cross between Poncho Villa and Ansel Adams.

On the other hand if traveling light is not a concern, then size doesn't matter.

Hoss

Like DRB said everything I've heard says its a good camera. Hopefully a couple of folks who use it can provide more insight.

Hoss

UGAff

I have an S2 IS, very close to being the S3, and I love it. I cannot say enough about it, it is very versatile. the zoom is great and the movie mode is also good. You can attach lenses, filters, and the like with an adapter. I carry the manual with me because there are so many functions, and I have had the camera for a year...

shaggybill

I've used the S1, S2, and S3, and I only have good things to say about this line of cameras. I highly recommend them.

jj4301

I have thoroughly enjoyed this neat little camera for the time I have had it. You can find all sorts of accessories for these things. Last night I just ordered two lens adapters, one for filters to use, and the other for a teleconverter lense I ordered. I see in the not so distant future, I will be getting a wide-angle lense, and a macro lense. If you search all my posts, you can find some pictures I have taken with this camera.

As for resources, here are some websites to do a little research on.
Photography on the Net
Canon S3 IS Users
Digital Camera Resource Page
For Accessories: Lensmate

There is a wealth of knowledge specific to these cameras within these sites, also here at GON.

Headshot

I bought one a couple of weeks ago. Amazing camera! I'm still reading and learning. So far, I don't regret this purchase. Good luck!

Watcher

S3IS

Here is a shot I took freehand without a tripod yesterday. I had the zoom + the digital zoom on also. It said 48X. I really like mine.

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_0765.JPG
    Copy of IMG_0765.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 50