Going crappie fishing on Lake Oconee in the morning.

Arrow3

This will be my first time fishing for crappie on Oconee...Im going with GobblingDawg (Jack) and his son...I have bass fished twice on Oconee with decent results....My lakes are Hartwell, Russell, and Clarks Hill..I tried to get Jack to goto Clarks Hill but he has FAITH ::; in Oconee....Im sure we will have a great time even if we don't get a bite but i sure hope we catch some....All I hear from Jody is that Oconee is full of FAT slabs...:huh:

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Best of luck Brandon!

Let us know how you do.

I may be heading that way Saturday from the picnic.

GobblingDawg

Maybe, just maybe, we can catch a few of those big Oconee crappie tomorrow.
::; ::; ::;

One thing is for sure. If we don't catch any trolling, I want to throw everything that we can think of at 'em. Throwing to the bank, shooting docks, whatever it takes is what I want to do!!!!
:shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

Go Dawgs and come on turkey season,
GobblingDawg

Arrow3

Contrary to what Jody has posted, we ZERO'ed on the crappie this morning.....Jack did catch a nice hybrid.. 3-4 lb range....We might not have caught any fish but we still had a good time...Turkey hunting might have came up a time or two...:D

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
What area did ya'll fish? No need in me going to the same place tomorrow if'n ya'll couldn't catch'em I doubt I'd do much better.

Jody Hawk

huntnnut said:
What area did ya'll fish? No need in me going to the same place tomorrow if'n ya'll couldn't catch'em I doubt I'd do much better.

Milton,
Jack told me that they fished Sugar Creek.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Jody Hawk said:
Milton,
Jack told me that they fished Sugar Creek.

Thanks! I think I'm gonna try Richland and see if I can catch Camotoy over there. If I can't catch any, maybe he'll sell me a few....:D

Arrow3

We ain't heard much out of "your" lakes lately !!!! What's up?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Don't have a report to give...:bounce::bounce: Ive been spending all my time on "your" lake....

Now...."PUT MY FISH BACK!!""":rofl::rofl:

P

potsticker

i may be talking out of school but unless your buddy has some great places to fish for slabs,i would wait for the gapower to start generating and throw a cast net under the 44 hy bridge and catch some shad and fish a hump for hybrids. we have been seeing many small stripers schooling. In a year or tow this thing could get almost like it was in the late 80s. If i was a bait shopowner i would be installing large tanks for selling herring or large bass minnows. This is going to be a fantastic striper lake. I have cought some when they were landlocked on impoundment. im pumped!

P

potsticker

:banana:
i may be talking out of school but unless your buddy has some great places to fish for slabs,i would wait for the gapower to start generating and throw a cast net under the 44 hy bridge and catch some shad and fish a hump for hybrids. we have been seeing many small stripers schooling. In a year or tow this thing could get almost like it was in the late 80s. If i was a bait shopowner i would be installing large tanks for selling herring or large bass minnows. This is going to be a fantastic striper lake. I have cought some when they were landlocked on impoundment. im pumped!

This is going to be a fantastic striper lake.

Why?

It wasn't the first time DNR tried it. They quit stocking stripers because it wasn't suitable habitat for stripers. Primarily it is too shallow and there were no cool water refuges for the stripers. If anything the habitat has severely degraded through siltation at a rate about 3 times greater than expected, and the run off from all the development.

Go look at the main tributaries right now and see how much fresh water is coming into the lake.

Of course with them stocking stripers, it won't take long before some yahoo takes it on himself to improve the fishery by introducing some herring, and there goes a reasonably good crappie fishery.

Jody Hawk

Of course with them stocking stripers, it won't take long before some yahoo takes it on himself to improve the fishery by introducing some herring, and there goes a reasonably good crappie fishery.

Gosh, I hope not. You can't beat Oconee for "monster" slabs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's caught several 2 1/2 lb. or better slabs out of that lake !!!!!!!!!!!

fishhead

This will be my first time fishing for crappie on Oconee...Im going with GobblingDawg (Jack) and his son...I have bass fished twice on Oconee with decent results....My lakes are Hartwell, Russell, and Clarks Hill..I tried to get Jack to goto Clarks Hill but he has FAITH ::; in Oconee....Im sure we will have a great time even if we don't get a bite but i sure hope we catch some....All I hear from Jody is that Oconee is full of FAT slabs...:huh:

I used to fish with my uncle on oconee and we used to go above 278 bridge and bear left. I think it was close to where the oconee river dumps into the lake. We would drift fish minnows in front of the A-frame house on the left.