Good Day/Bad Day/Terrible Stand Placement

Duff

Decided to ck out a small lot of woods yesterday that I have access to this year. Before I got in the woods I busted a very nice 8pt out of a overgrown field. Don't really know if that is a good thing but I now know where I'm gonna be Sat.-That good.

Go back today to hang a stand. Find what I think is a good tree and :eek: :speechles popped by 2 yellow hornets. Of course I'm very allergic to bee stings so I spend the afternoon in the doc's office. Not to mention those jokers hurt. I'm still hurting. They pack a mean punch. Be carefull yall and good luck Sat.

Duff

Jeff Raines

you must have been close to the nest,european hornets are very aggressive,be careful when you go back.They are the only be that is active at night and are attracted to light

Duff

:D SS, no problem there.

Jeff, now that I think about it, that tree wasn't all that great :rolleyes: My buddy went back to get my cell phone I lost when I busted thru the brair patch like a fullback and said 1 bee would not leave, just kept hovering over my phone. :shoot:

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
those European Hornets

(Yellow Jackets on steroids) are pure evil...............only ones that have ever chased me at night!!.......they are cavity dwellers.............some research is being done to see if they are displacing mammals from tree cavities. :(

Trigabby

Dang european hornets.. I feel for you, Duff.. I got popped by one on my shoulder and it felt like I'd been hit by a baseball bat...

They are cavity dwellers.. I had to abandon a tree that was beside an oak with a hollow in it... Everytime I approached with my headlamp on, they'd come to investigate.. and not in a good way.

I have had one (while I was in a stand) come by and attack/kill a yellow jacket that had been messing with me all afternoon.. Now, that was pretty cool...

Rem 700

Yellow jackets

Got stung by 12 yellow jackets two saturdays ago bush hogging. They hurt all over my arm and head. If your bald don't take off your hat and try to hit them lol my head must of made a good target. To top that off killed them and then once we got to plowing i had been going by a tree full of the european hornets. They were going in a big hole at eye level while i was on the tractor needless to say that spot did not get planted. Another time when i was young me and my girlfriend were making a trail through the woods one nite bumped into a tree with my front rack it happened to have a nest of them things in it they started attacking my headlites. Well i got turned around quick and we never got stung.

slow motion

Been reading old posts lately. Some really interesting stuff. This time funny.
NO PAIN == NO BIG BUCKS . SUCK IT UP AND GET BACK TO WORK " qoted by my wife :whip:
True. At least I think. I seem to experience pain often in the woods. So must be a big buck following me around trying to let me kill it.
:D SS, no problem there.

Jeff, now that I think about it, that tree wasn't all that great :rolleyes: My buddy went back to get my cell phone I lost when I busted thru the brair patch like a fullback and said 1 bee would not leave, just kept hovering over my phone. :shoot:
Sorry you got stung brother but it led to next quote which I found hilarious. Course I'm easily amused.
Duff

Reckon who he was talking to. :D
Classic. :tip:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That was kinda freaking me out…..that was 20 years ago!! I parked right next to a nest at Paulding forest, that was in a tree This last year. It’s the only place to pull off in a 100 yard stretch. I marked it on Huntstand and left. My uncle has a big hole in a tree right next to the rd that runs along his property and they are in there! Now we’ve walked by it many times without issues or even awareness while on ATVs……until he told me it was there:eek2:but he did say he was gonna kill he nest as they recently moved in.
Thank the Lord and knock on wood, I’ve seen these giant monster yellow jacket looking creatures, but they have never bothered me ::; They have come kinda close to me, but never aggressive. I won’t push my luck though……I give them all that space.

Duff

Dang slow, you digging into the archives!

I remember that day:bounce: Cant believe that was 20 years ago!

Duff

No. I went the next morning. It was a tight little finger of woods between 2 subdivisions. I caught movement about 8am and a little girl came walking through the woods and got in her rope swing about 60yds from me:rofl:

True story