Luck During Full Moon?

J

J-Bomb

I am sorta new to deer hunting, but I am confused about the effects of the full moon. I have heard that it makes deer more active, but I have also heard that it screws up your hunt because they tend to feed more during the night.
Anyone had extra good or bad luck during the full moon period?
Thanks-

cowboyron

I've always had low to no deer sightings on a full moon. It got to where I would not plan any out of state trips on a full moon cuz it would be a waste of time and money. I have heard the best time to hunt on a full moon is in the afternoon but I don't know cuz I ain't had much luck in the afternoons either. To sum it up I don't like hunting on a full moon. Thats just me the best time to hunt is anytime you can get out there cuz you never know. So with that said GO GET'UM.

BowArrow

I believe Dr. Grant studies have shown that it is not the full moon but the position of the moon. I believe his studies show that hunting is best when the moon is overhead or underfoot.

I pay no attention to the moon but go when I feel the woods calling. I am retired so that can be any day (except Sunday).

cowboyron

Bowarrow

I was going to metion that also. I have heard that too.I have tried to hunt at these times but don't have enough time or data to comment on it. I have paid attention to feeding charts and find them purdy accrute.

Handgunner

I hunt when I can, full moon or not. But I do see more deer on a dark moon... On full moons, I hardly ever hunt the mornings, mostly evenings... I've tried the mid-day during the full moon, with no luck. But I've not hunted it enough to say good or bad either way... Some people swear by the full moon and mid-day, some people swear at it...

Bowhunterga

Like Delton, I hunt when I can. Saw nothing this morning under a bright moon but was surrounded by deer just before dark and managed another large doe on local WMA. That makes 2 in as many Saturdays, both on public land. Gonna be a lot of good eating around here this winter!!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ramblinrack

i pay no attention whatsoever to mooncharts or solunar tables...just hunt every chance i get. my best buck ever was killed an hr1/2 after daylight on a full moon 12-1-01, and was the fourth deer i saw that morning. i was situated well before daylight and the moon going down was the biggest and brightest i have ever seen.i was wondering if i was wasting my time or if i was going to have to sit til dinner to glimpse a deer. i'm convinced...you never can tell when you're going to get lucky! just go all you can. btw, they were all headed to the same big ol red oak tree that was still dropping some rather large acorns.

Al33

I rarely bother hunting deer following a full bright moon.

I used to hunt no matter, but have become more selective as I have aged. I now plan my hunts around the full moon times, and tend to other needs when it IS full. I still may occassionally hunt during a full moon, but it is rare and most always in the middle of the day.

I just do not have the confidence I need to stay in the stand while thinking about other things I could or should be doing. I like more favorable odds for seeing deer.

Al

I never used to pay much attention to the moon. In the past 5 years I have made myself learn how to read the moon tables. I have spent far less time in the woods and seen far more deer. It is a correct statement that deer are not as active during the fuul moon during the day but the deer no matter what unless sevear storms will not lay around all day. The studies show that they get up and mill around every 2-3 hours. Alos the primary feeding times is when the moon is directly overhead the main secondary feeding period is when the moon is directly underfoot. If you look at the moonrise time add 6 hours (roughly) and that will be your primary feeding time. Take the time and learn it. If you see deer or not watch the rest of the activity in the woods when the moon is overhead and underfoot. Squirrels, birds turkey everything seems to be more active. Good luck.

Rangers Lead the Way!!!!!!!!!

H

HT2

Full Moon.....

I don't "prefer" to hunt during the "FULL MOON"......But, I do.........

I hunt when I can.......

However.....

With the exception of the "RUT", I tend to see a lot fewer deer during the "FULL MOON".......

But, I'll still be there.... :D

Handgunner

Someone post what moon tables you use, or online charts regarding moon-phases and feeding times.

Slug-Gunner

Solunar Times & Rhythm Charts for Hunting/Fishing

Delton said:
Someone post what moon tables you use, or online charts regarding moon-phases and feeding times.

Here are a couple of Solunar Time Charts/Tables I've found handy over the years. The Rick Taylor's Prime Times tables are available in both a wall calendar or small pocket sized book containing the times similar to the web link. I've bought the combo pack before and read his book on it.... so now, the web site link gives me all the info I need to use it. The times are based on a sun-moon relationship table to geographic location for various times of the day/night. They seem to work quite well for fishing, but as you know, even if the deer are feeding/moving during the peak periods, you have to be located in the SAME AREA they are moving in if you are to take advantage of it. Look at some of the different "examples" to understand how the times are based on sun/moon relationships.

Rick Taylor's Prime Times: (updated 1st of each month)

http://www.primetimes2.com/pages/4-astrotables.html

The following charts are "rhythm based", but easier to follow since they show the "start" of a major/minor period, when it peaks, and then it's decline. Since they cover a 5-6 day period in one page, it allows you to plan your hunting/fishing schedule better. The moon's current phase is shown to the right of the chart. Both of the links/charts are primarily based on "MOON OVERHEAD" and "MOON UNDERFOOT" time periods.... both usually extend the period when they happten to coincide with sunrise, high noon, and sunset periods.

http://www.wsbtv.com/weather/2371706/detail.html

ADDED REMARKS: If you look at todays "peak times" on both charts for 26 Sept 2004, you will see that these times coincides with the "MOON UNDERFOOT" peak times for the FULL MOON PERIOD we are currently in.

NOTE: I run "Spybot - Search & Destroy" and have its "Innoculate" my computer system active at all times. It shows an attempt to download "spyware" known as "DoubleClick" when accessing the wsbtv site. Spybot's "Innoculate" gives me the opportunity to decline/reject the attempted download, thus protecting my system from most known adware or spyware. If you don't already use "Spybot - Search & Destroy" I suggest you download it and run it "free". If info about Spybot is needed post here or PM me.

:D :cool: :flag: :clap: ;)

Last edited:

Junebug

Here's a link that allows you to punch in any date and it'll show what phase the moon will be; even shown a virtual photo. http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/vphase.html

I can't remember a time when the moon was full that I had any luck whatsoever. I finally got to a point where I wouldn't hardly hunt during a full moon. It's a good time to let stands/areas rest, get chores done, catch a little football, and relax.

Junebug

H

HT2

Gotta Remember........

"DURING THE RUT"........

Them "BUCKS" don't care if the "MOON" is out or not........

They got "ONE THANG" on their mind.......... :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Ga-Spur

The Harvest Moon is coming up in a few days and next month there will be an eclipse of the Hunter's Moon.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
If I had to choose 3 days? ----- It would be the 5th -- 4th -- and 3rd day before full moon.

Any day you can go -- is a good day.;)

Murdock

I have read a lot an the moon phases. There may be something to it, but I try and be in the woods as much as I can regardless of the phase. A couple of guys on my lease swore by the feeding charts and hunted accordingly. Problem is that they never killed a deer a seldon saw any. Sixteen deer were taken off the lease last year and I accounted for four of them. One of the biggest bucks I have gotten was during the full moon week at 10:15 in the morning. It was during the Rut and he was following a doe. Less than a week later I got a 10 poniter than we rushed to locate. He jumped up and ran off and we never did find him.
Murdock

short stop

Hunt during miday during FULL MOON --I go in around 10 to 2 .during the rut hunt anytime you can sit in the woods .