Lures over $20, ever fish with any?

bukhuntr

I have just recently gotten back into fishing. I was at BP the other day, I could not believe that they are selling lures that cost over $20. Some were as high as $35. My question is does anyone actually fish with these lures? I couldn't bring myself to do it. If I tied one on my line, I would make dang sure I had a pair of swimming trunks and a mask and snorkel. They do look like they would catch fish. I was just shocked at the prices.

Lightninrod

Yes, I do. I'm going to get a biggun with one of these baits sooner rather than later---I hope :cool: .

Dan

jsragan

Call me a sucker!

I actually purchased a lure that cost about $23 about a month ago. I did so after several hours of debating the purchase in my own head. I finally gave in and am glad I did. The lure is a Lucky Craft Live Pointer 110 in the American Shad pattern. This lure has been productive already. In my first attempt with it I caught a 4lbs., 3.5lbs., and 2lbs. bass. This was on a terrible day to be fishing too. My buddy didn't even get a bite and he was throwing a Rapala Minnow. The Pointer has incredible action due to all the joints in the lure. I have yet to try it on a major lake but I am confident I will when the conditions are right.

Randall

I have been able to draw the line at $20 so far. My first Lucky Craft was given to me when I said I wouldnt pay over $10 for a lure. After winning some tournaments on it I started to look at it as an investment and went back to get more. If some one wants to give me a $35 lure I guess it is possible I might go back to get more but it had better be a real good lure. I just cant shell out $35 to try one the first time. By the way, there are some swimbaits going for $100 to $200 dollars.

the HEED!

Banned
I cant bring myself to rationalize a lure at that value, BUT

the boys on Lanier and Toona that stay in the big spots, 3 lbs and up, fish these type lure, jerkbaits, and boat some good fish, Ryan Coleman and Triton Mike guide on Lanier and Allatoona fish these high dollar jerkbaits alot I believe, maybe I should put some pennies together and find me some and locate a good hump or flat and chunk it out and work it in.

TurkeyCreek

I can't bring myself to pay that much for a lure. I did get a free Lucky Craft Sammy for signing my son up for a BASS membership. But it doesn't look as good as the BassPro imitation i have.

Hal

Fellow at work was using one of those $20 Lucky Crafts and hooked a big gar. It broke his line and swam off with his pretty lure. Don't think he caught the 1st bass with it. :rofl: Thats more than i got in some whole outfits. Zebco 33 on sale with a cheap rod :cool:

Lightninrod

If y'all would like to look at some BIG Bass that were caught using some 'high-dollar' swimbaits, click here! Now those Bass pics represent many hours and many casts without a bite so I'm not saying to get one and you will catch a Big Bass but I'm trying :banginghe .

Dan

Cypress94

Yeah, watch out for stripers and Sammy's, especially on Lanier. You can loose one real easy...I've done that. I bought a wooden Japanese topwater minnow one time called the Ichiban Minnow...spent about $35 bucks on it. Best looking topwater lure I've ever seen. Threw it on the 'Toona one time for about 20 minutes, put it up and have been scared to throw it ever since. Maybe one day I can auction it off on E-Bay for a few thousand!!

taylornelms

GONetwork Member
My dad always says the lure companies moto is that the lure only has to catch the fisherman and not the fish. I have cought plenty of fish on a 2 dollar bag of trick worms. But i understand how some peopel could get roped into something crazy like that.

treedawg

I pull several lures in my offshore spread that are well over $20.00ea. You'd think that you'd lose few lures offshore, but we get many cut leaders in a season.

TD

tritonman

I have used expensive baits for years. I only own a few that cost more then $20. I think it's peer pressure and the fact they do work.

A few years ago the Lucky Craft lures cost more than $20 and I know they work. But I still like the much less expensive Bandits and Bill Norman lures.

whitworth

Lure Retriever

I knew a weekend tournament fisherman who used a -golf ball retriever (pulling golf balls out of ponds) to retrieve lures from sunken stumps.
At those prices, it might be good to bring along a Navy Seal on your fishing trips.

rayjay

The biggest bass I ever caught was caught with a cricket. Caught a really big bream fishing off the back of a houseboat { the bream were under the bow }. While I'm fighting the bream with the ultra-light a huge bass tried to grab him . I managed to keep the bream out of the bass's mouth and got him in the boat. I had my "big fish rig" sitting there with a plastic worm hook on. I hooked on the bream and flopped him back in. The bass kinda eyed him and when the bream headed for the underside of the boat the bass nailed him. Easily 15+ lbs. Rental houseboat not due back for 2 more days, no way to tie him up, no camera, threw him right back in the water and have regretted it ever since :hammers: About 1992.

I just got back from that spot. We spent Sat and Sun there on our new [to us ] houseboat. The next big one [ if there is one ] is going on the wall.

Any lure I buy will be well under $10 at BP. When I'm after big fish give me a live bait.

red tail

GONetwork Member
I have one but I am scared to use it. That is like throughing a $20 bill in the lake.

frankwright

I have five or six of the Luck Crafts but I have not paid $20 for them. I got several online and a couple at BPS on sale.

The smaller Pointers especially have saved us in several tournaments. They throw a mile for being so small, they have great action and you cannot tie them on with out the hooks sticking in your fingers three or four times.

We joke that we have to throw them on steel cable as we can't afford to lose them.

bukhuntr

ALCRAP - A Lucky Craft Recovery Assistance Professional

Thanks for the input. I think I might try the pointer. If anyone has ever lost one in Varner, please give me the approximate location and I will take my fins and snorkel and try to retrieve it. I wonder if there is a market for "A Lucky Craft Recovery Assistance Professional". We could call it ALCRAP, lost my lucky craft.

Now that's funny, I don't care you who are. Git R Dun!

Last edited: