Benefit dove shoot Hartwell Dec 8 $25

Dave, I don't think we will be able to make it after all. I would love to, but due to my dad's work schedule, it's our only chance all week to get one last trip deer hunting. He still wants to take a buck and I told him he could hunt my best stand. I may not even leave camp. He hasn't even seen a buck this year, and I've killed 2 and passed up about 10 more. Please keep me informed about opening weekend (especially Labor Day Monday) next year. I heard from Jennifer at Plantation that ya'll had a great shoot this year and I missed out.

Dovebuster33

date

If I,m not mistaken this was scheduled for Dec. 29 and is it now the 8th of Jan?? I planned to go, but now am unsure of date. Please let me know.

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Shoot date still Dec 29

Hmmm.

don't know where Jan 8 rumor came from. We're still going to hold the shoot this coming Saturday December 29. As mentioned, if not enough doves, there will be no fee to shoot (but donations to ODF welcomed). Pay/no pay will be Steve's call.

dave

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
No charge to shoot.

Steve made teh call. He's not seeing enough doves to feel like it would be fair to charge anybody (but again, donations to ODF welcome).

Lunch provided free too. Menu: BBQ, stew, dessert, drinks. Servewd at 11:30.

There will be a fire in a barrel to stay warm at.

Steve wanted me to ask people to leave a message on his phone if he is unable to answer.

We have three carpooling from Roswell now, could fit one more and split gas. Heading up at 6:30, staying til dark. PM if interested.

I did a job in Commerce today. Walmart there has plenty of clay pigeons for $7.66/box. Bring slingers too if you have 'em.

That's all for now. See folks there.

dave

hogana

I know it is late, but I have a buddy and his nephew that I am trying to talk into hunting Saturday as opposed to Friday. I am willing to pay the proposed fee since you have done the arrangements and it is for a good cause. I will not know if they can come until later tonight , or maybe until Friday. Do you have room for more shooters?

Dovebuster33

Good time

We had almost 0 birds but great folks, food and Steve raised @ $400.00 for a great cause and some deserving kids. Thanks Steve.

beretta

First let me thank Mr. Shaw for the GREAT hospitality!!! Morning hunt was a bust, but the afternoon one was outstanding!!! Saw a ton of birds, got to work the dog too.. Saw probably 1500 ducks(mile high). Thanks again!!

DaveH1

GONetwork Member
Hot barrels in Hartwell!!

Call it luck of the Irish or whatever you want, but the streak of good late-season shoots in Hartwell continues!

Few birds in the morning, but the afternoon turned into one of those run-back-to-the-truck-for-more-ammo deals. From 2 pm til 45 minutes before dark, there was consistent action. On my part of the field, most folks bagged several birds, some as many as 10. Lots of kids there, they were dropping their share and having a big time. Borg the dog made 16 retrieves, including an impressive one on a bird that got up and flew a long way twice.

Most of the birds were coming in groups of 1 to four, but at least twice there were flocks of 15 to 20 blasting in.

They were consistently high birds, so shooters often held their fire. If they were dropping in lower, I'm sure the tallies would have been higher. Several folks learned the importance of larger pellet sizes when shooting heavily-feathered late-season birds!

$400 was raised for the Outdoor Dream Foundation. Approximately 40 folks were there.

Steve Shaw and the attendees would like to thank the following for their support:

Mike and Jennifer Obarr for cooking the food. Jennifer works at The Plantation restaurant in Athens. Show your support by eating there if you get a chance. Lunch got rave reviews. Pulled pork BBQ, brunswick stew, baked beans, great coleslaw, and poundcake. I'm not usually a big fan of B stew, but Jennifer's version had a unique taste. I asked her secret, she said there were four types of meat in it - chicken, turkey, beef, and pork.

If they cater lunch next year, the food alone will have folks coming back!

Upstate Forklift and Truck Service from Seneca SC paid for the food.

IMI in Watkinsville and Savannah provided gift giveaways, as did Phil Booth.

Josh Chapman's Lawn Service cut the grass around the barn/eating area.

The several folks who brought clays and throwers - Bob, Bobby, Dave and CC, another gentleman whose name I didn't catch, and maybe some others.

With the morning action being so dead, the skeet shooting started by 10 am. 15 or so kids took turns, and they had a ball. It was looking like that was going to be the high point of the day, but the surprise afternoon flight was nice icing on the cake.

Steve wanted me to share that ODF will be having a fundraiser at the Anderson Civic Center in Anderson SC on Monday April 7, 2008. Hank Parker will be the guest speaker. National country recording star Rex Norton will perform. Supper provided, price TBD.

Thanks to all who turned out. A great time was had by all. I wish I had had more time to chat and meet some of you.

There may be a surprise for next year's hunt(s?) regarding the crop and timing, we'll have to see how the drought impacts planting decisons. But for now, keep Labor Day weekend open. ;)

dave

Hey Dave, Sounds like I missed out. Like I said before, I really wanted to come, but my dad wanted to deer hunt, and we couldn't do both. We got wet twice and didn't even see a deer between us in 4 trips to the stand. I look forward to next season.

Latest posts