Scuppernongs

Swamprat

Swamprat
does anybody have any recipes for these grapes besides making wine and eating them off the vine

i have one large arbor covered in them, the kids and me can't eat them fast enough and the opposum is getting drunk from the overripe ones on the ground :D

Just started some

About 6 pounds of fruit, 6 pounds of sugar, 3 gallons of distilled water and 1 or 2 packs of yeast. Mix and let it work off. I just finished a batch made from grapes. It turned out pretty good. I think it took about 5 to 6 weeks. I installed a burping hose submerse in water to keep bugs out. It also lets you see when your wine is finished. Attached is a picture of my first batch. Make sure everything you use is extremly clean. If not the wine will ot be good. Use eaither clorox or boiling water to sterilize everything. Good luck

Attachments

• wine.jpg
    wine.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 712

Swamprat

Swamprat
thanks KansasHunter, looks like you are set as far as wine goes. I have heard before that you have to make sure that everything is sterelized or it will make the wine go bad due to mold, etc

i am also looking for a recipe for jam or jelly, the grapes have a tough outer skin so i am not sure how well they cook down. i guess i can always experiment and see how it turns out

Jim Ammons

Swamprat,

Put any amount of scuppernongs or grapes you want in a vessel. Crush them by hand, old coke bottle, jar or whatever. Then add water to cover then. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Strain off juice and you are ready to make jelly. If you like you can put a few hulls in your juice. Use sure-jell or equivalent. Follow the directions in packet of sure-jell. Good eating with hot biscuit.

stumpman

Banned
jim your going to have to stop with the bisquit talk your making me hungry just told the wife to make some for supper tomorrow night sounds good.

dbodkin

Muscadines

I love to eat them... But havent seen any in the grocery stores... Hope they will be there soon.... :clap:

dbodkin

Can you buy starter vines? I'd like to grow some? How long before a vine bears fruit?

Dave

Swamprat

Swamprat
DBodkin,
I will try to get some cuttings and get them to root. if I have any luck I will let you know and find a way to get them to you. If they root I have no idea how long it wil take for them to produce or if they ever will.

I have heard that for regular grapes you need a male and female or two of them for cross pollination, don't know if that is the case or not

H

HT2

Scuppernongs......

Man, do I remember eatin' the "fool" out of them thangs.......

My dad use to have bunches and bunches of vines of them thangs, and they always "hung" full!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap:

DanSmith

Banned
rooting skuppernongs

Swamprat said:
DBodkin,
I will try to get some cuttings and get them to root. if I have any luck I will let you know and find a way to get them to you. If they root I have no idea how long it wil take for them to produce or if they ever will.

I have heard that for regular grapes you need a male and female or two of them for cross pollination, don't know if that is the case or not
I have a large arbor that has been growong from 1957.. I star my NEW vines by just putting the runners under the ground with 1 shovel of dirt ! they "will" root . after a month or so (IN THE SPRING) cut it off & it will grow .. makes a clone .. has grapes #2 year .. ;)

dbodkin

Thanks SwampRat

I found some at Wally World. I couldnt pass them up even at the highway robbery prices. Do y'all eat skin & all.. It can be a bit tart but i just chomp done on it .. My wife doesnt like the hulls...

twtabb

starting from seed

Has anyone ever started from seed or would you do better from a cutting?
I Would like to get some started in my yard.

Handgunner

Dbo...

If bored, I'll chew on the hulls, but for the most part, I get rid of them...

I used to work for Harry's Farmers Mkt in Atlanta... We had to watch a tent one night and being there all night, Harry told us "help yourself" He had a TON of scuppernongs about the size of an aggy, some even bigger.. That was the best money I made, sitting on the tail gate of my truck, eating fresh, cold scuppernongs, and getting paid to watch over the place. :)

tracker

vines

Lawson's Nursery advertises in GON, and they sell scuppernong vines (and ship them) cheaper than Walmart. Their phone # is (770) 893-2141.

Danny

dbodkin

Where would it be best to try to start an arbor? Environment.. Shade.. well drained... or moist soil .. PH...etc.... I'm looking for some starter vines.

Oh and I had to buy another basket found some purple ones this time... $2.99 lb ::huh:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Rooting Scuppernongs

They root readily simply by selecting a runner that is on the lower part of the vine. Pull the runner down to the ground, cover it with a handful of soil then place a brick or rock on top to hold it in place. As soon as roots form, separate the rooted runner from the plant and transplant. Upon inspecting for roots, if they have not formed, just cover it back up and give it more time.

Vernon