View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 08:59 AM

Bears are a lot like women, they carry their fat in different places.

In my experience, the most usable fat is found from about the middle of the back down to back of the thighs. The backstraps are usually protected by a healthy layer of fat and the highest quantity of fat is usually along the midsection covering the ribs.

It's easiest to process once the bear is skinned, but I've not done it in the woods. Yes, you're going to get leaves and debris on everything, but I'm not sure that's a big problem. All of that should float to the top in the rendering process and be easily scooped out. If not, I'm sure filtering through cheese cloth would work.

Just as the saying goes, there's a million ways to skin a cat. Well, I've not skinned many cats, but the same can be said for bears. Ideally, I would skin him out and leave his hide on the ground like a blanket. Then I'd roll him onto his stomach with his back up. Make a cut straight down to the backbone from the shoulders all the way back to the tail. Then, start peeling the fat off either side, cutting it away from the meat. Kind of the same you you do a backstrap away from the ribs. Actually, if you've ever cut the side meat for bacon away from the ribs, it's a very similar process. Whatever you do, be prepared to have you and everything you touch covered in grease It's hard to hold onto a knife when both your hands and the knife are slick.

As far as the quality of the fat from different places, I couldn't tell you much. But if it's pure and white, you can't go wrong.

This is from a big bear a couple years ago. There actually wasn't enough fat on this most recent one to even bother with.