Photo Size

Hoss

A thread started by another member got me started looking at posting photos. I found that the size of the photo is still 640X480, but the total file size is limited to 39KB. I believe that this is a smaller file size than the old forum. To get your 640x480 photos down to this file size, it may be necessary to play with the compression used when you save the file. Attached is a photo that I used for my avatar that is 640x480 and it is 38.3 KB.

Hoss

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
It is Hoss, and that will be looked at with the other glitches as soon as possible :D

Dang Bow season interfered ;)

Until then please bare with us, and remember we have the feature of embedding available for pics that have larger BYTES, not larger PIXELS :)

leo

Hoss

Leo

You may want to explain the embedding process. I've been looking at it and it doesn't appear to be intuitively obvious and how to use it looks to be dependent on your message editor interface.

I do like the manage attachment feature cause it sure makes going back and deleting old photos a lot easier.

Hoss

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
Basically "embedding" a pic is when you have a pic stored on a pic storage site ( hunt101) that allows embedding, you attach it's address to the "attach image" feature on here and the pic is viewable with out taking your or Woodys space up. :)

You click on the symbol below and insert your address in the space that comes up and then click "OK", a nice feature about this is it can be previewed before you post to see if it takes :)

Remember that we still have a MAX Pixel size of 640x480 and it's your responsibility to not exceed this size when embedding :)

Again we will get these things straightened out as we adapt to the new format, please bare with us.

leo

Attachments

• insert image.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 376

Hoss

After looking at the interface, it was a lot more obvious than I first thought. This is just like joining a new hunting club searching out all the hidden things.

Hoss

Handgunner

Leo, Hoss...

Maybe y'all can help a boy out on this. What exactly does "compression" mean, in pictures? I have that option, but is more compressed better, or less compressed? I was wondering that the other day while trying to post a picture. Some posted fine, with little or no problem and others I've put in the recyle bin before punching my computer. :whip: :bounce:

Hoss

I'll give it a try Delton

More compression typically means lower photo quality, but smaller file size. The trade off depends a great deal on what the photo is. For example, the photo on this thread started out as a 1920x2834 pixel photo with a file size of 2.8 MB. Reducing it to 640x480 and resaving it as a jpeg with no additional compression reduced the file size to 334KB. The one in the thread was resaved with additional compression and that got it to a size of 38.2KB. What you would note if you could see the original or even the 640x480 without compression is a lot sharper picture and less range in the brightness of the colors on the compressed picture. Though without the original for reference, the one in the thread doesn't look too bad. The tough part is I don't know of any way to predetermine how much compression it takes to get below the 39KB threshold. It's a trial and error thing. The best advice I can give is try it out with your software and see how it works.

I believe that on the old forum (correct me if I'm wrong Leo) the file size limit was 500KB which typically meant that just reducing the picture size to 640X480 would get below the limit. As Leo pointed out, this is one of the glitches to get worked out. Ain't change exciting? :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe

Hoss