A Winner and a loser of an opener

gadeerwoman

Picked up a friend from Ohio who had flown in to hunt the weekend late Friday night. Didn't get home until 2 am. Get him up at 6 am and take him to a stand I have up for him and I go back home to sleep. He sees zip in the morning. Afternoon finds him on some pin oaks and honey locusts with my summit climber. Since I'm not really interested in taking a deer I go 250 yards away and sit on the ground against an old uprooted dead pine tree near another couple pin oaks with wind downed acorns. 30 minutes later I see a coyote trotting parallel to me 30 yards away but it stays in the thick stuff. I go back to reading my book with the new crossbow on the ground beside me. 7:50 I hear walking in the leaves just off a little drop off and I put my book aside. Here comes a nice fat 2 year old doe....but I'm not wearing a face mask or camo other than a camo shirt. She pops out behind some brush 15 yards away and notices me....but she can't scent me so she simply walks 5 yard and stops broadside. First meat with the new crossbow!! Ohio bud sees 4 but they stay out of range. Not a bad opening weekend other that it was hot as blazes Saturday afternoon!!

Hoss

Good job Sandra

I think I need to take up reading when I'm hunting as much as I hear about people just looking up and there's a deer. Sounds like a good hunt for you.

Hoss

Jeff Phillips

Way to go GDW :clap:

Sounds like a laid back hunt ;) :p

Hardy

GONetwork Member
Congratulations GDW, you and the crossbow made friends in a hurry. I'm glad to hear you had success with the new crossbow, I know you will be hooked now :shoot:

Outdoor-Writer07

Congrats...

Sounds like a good start for the season. Good luck and maybe you can get out there and kill that big buck. :cool:

gabuckeye

Hey way to go Sandra! :clap: :clap:

Meat in the freezer. Now go get a big buck or hog with that new crossbow. I'm going to head up and try out my new crossbow tomorrow.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Congrats Sandra! That's the way to break in a new weapon... :bounce:

It sounds like your friends hunt wasn't entirely a loser though, at least he saw some deer...:clap:

Meriwether Mike

Good job on relaxing and getting a doe as well!

Duff

sandra,

Thats just streching the shooting limit of a crossbow a little to far. :bounce: :bounce:

Great job

gadeerwoman

The really stinking part of the weekend was my truck died again for the 2nd time in two weeks. I needed to shot something bad and it was either the truck or a deer. Replaced the fuel pump last week but now we think it may be the fuel injection module. :confused: :banginghe One the truck gets real hot it starts sputtering soon as it is cranked and dies. Smells like it is getting too much gas. Ray may stop hunting with me as twice now I've killed a doe opening day when he's come down to hunt and he's 0 for 2. But I've got an invite to hunt 300 acres of prime hunting land in Ohio now too just have to find time to take a little trip. :p

Al33

Way to go Sandra.

You sure make it sound easy. :D

I'm like Hoss, I guess I am going to have to start taking a book along, a few Snickers bars, a thermos of coffee, my camera, and whatever so I will start seeing more deer. Man, I don't take much-a-nuttin' and I try not to move much at all. It amazes me how some folks can have deer climb in their lap while their listening to a ball game. ::huh:

Anyway, great job Sandra. Maybe your friend wil have better luck next time if he will just relax and read a book. :bounce:

Al

gadeerwoman

If I don't have a book I can't sit still for more than an hour before I get bored. Guess deer figure anyone who sits and reads a book is harmless.....dumb deer. :shoot:

spongebob

check the fuel filter (if it has one)...

If you haven't already, check the in-line fuel filter if it has one. It may appear that it is failing once "warmed up" but it takes some time for the sediment to get "sucked up tight" into the filter element. It may save you some aggrevation and a whole lot of money.....

gadeerwoman said:
The really stinking part of the weekend was my truck died again for the 2nd time in two weeks. I needed to shot something bad and it was either the truck or a deer. Replaced the fuel pump last week but now we think it may be the fuel injection module. :confused: :banginghe One the truck gets real hot it starts sputtering soon as it is cranked and dies. Smells like it is getting too much gas. Ray may stop hunting with me as twice now I've killed a doe opening day when he's come down to hunt and he's 0 for 2. But I've got an invite to hunt 300 acres of prime hunting land in Ohio now too just have to find time to take a little trip. :p

gadeerwoman

Supposedly they changed the fuel filter last week when they replace the fuel pump but I don't know if it was an 'in-line' filter or not. Still waiting to hear today what they find....if anything. Hopefully they can get the engine hot and hook it up to the computer while the service engine light is on.