Jehovah Witnesses

Tom Borck

Banned
Are there any on board? I tell you what these people are dedicated and commited to spreading their religion, I say their religion because I am not JW.

Funny thing, they come to my door 3-4 times a year and I have never had a Baptist, Catholic, Jew, etc... come to my door preaching and spreading their religion? Wonder why? ::huh:

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
They are dedicated for sure.

Timberman

I have one that works for me. When he was interviewing, he said he was a JW and asked if that would be a problem. I said no, we have Baptists, Catholics, Methodists, and a few more in our organization and as long as your religious preference is left at home and not imposed on anybody, I do not care.

He is one of my best employees and has some of the brightest, well mannered, hard working children I've seen as well as a beautiful and very sweet wife.

I don't know much about their worship, and it has never been mentioned around the workplace, but from my standpoint it seems to work for him, and I'm ok with that. :)

D

dave

That's a wild one

Per their beliefs, only 144,000 will make it to heaven, period. They're over the top for me. :eek:

CAL

With out a doubt their belief is very strong.They also practice their belief too.
Being a southern baptist by birth,it is hard for me to accept that the Christ Child wasn't born at Christmas.This they donot celebrate and they also believe the grave is h--l and reserection day is when you will leave the grave or stay there.
At one time I subscribed to "The Watchtower".This is a religious publication they publish.I stopped reading it when it was so obvious that a lot of their teaching seemed to me to contradict what is written in "The Holy Bible".I know we all remember Jesus telling the thief on the cross"today you will be with me in Paradise".He never mentioned the grave!Jesus also said you will transcend with the blink of and eye at death.
Don't anyone misunderstand what I have posted.I am only stating what I think and what I believe and I am not being critical of their religion or anyone elses either.
Just what I personally believe!

tgroves

I had a friend and co-worker who was a JW and she had told us that if you were not really interested in learning about their religion when you had a visit from one of their members do not accept their offer of the free literature. She said that they consider that an invitation to come back and talk to you further about their beliefs.
Teresa

DanSmith

Banned
witness.

I had 1 work with me.He told me that if his wife or child needed a transfusion to save there life -- they would have to DIE ! HE IS a draft dodger -they nearlly all are!!.he said witnesses can't take lives .He runs a buisness (painting) has nothing to do with religion -- pays no taxes -he claimes to be a preacher .Found out that all the members in nis pod are preachers so as not to pay taxes or serve.. amd his painting is a church buisness, tax exempt.(crook). BUT he collects money from the govt. each month ..1 child has a disability! every one has the right to worship in this country. BUT , I think it also should be my right to NOT If I want also! ,These religion morons (jahova witnesses). "NOW" stay off my porch NEVER EVER stick papers in my door . I had to run them off with my shot gun!! NO KIDDING I was MAD!! I guess they are NOT ready to DIE ! because I JUST ABOUT POPPED 1 ! they ran & not come back! . CAL - On tv this morning the question WAS -can babtist christions go to heavan? ANSWER = NO!! Only christians. the guy said that you MUST be ?non denominational? And have a NON PAYED revernd .. IF not you all will burn!! :mad:

one_shot_no_mor

Funny Story...

MANY years ago when I was serving on submarines in the Navy, I came home after a six month deployment. I had only been home two days. While lounging on the couch enjoying the beverage of my choice, the doorbell rang. IMMEDIATELY, my wife ushered all the kids into the back bedroom and instructed them to be quiet. ::huh:

A bit confused, I asked what she was doing and why she didn't answer the door (it's a Submarine thing...the woman MUST remain in charge for at least a week after the man returns from deployment...)

She told me that it was Jehovah's Witnesses. They had been coming by every Sunday for the past few weeks. She said that if we just sat quietly for a few minutes they would go away.

I was FURIOUS! :banginghe I told her I refused to be a prisoner in my home and proceeded to the door. I opened the door and invited the two nice ladies in to talk...COMPLETELY NAKED!!!!! :eek:ut:

They declined my offer and we were never bothered again... :cool:

Dough

Military Service

I was told they won't serve in the military because they cannot "kill" another human and the US Gov't is of the devil, and by being employed by the Gov't, I was working for the devil. I was active duty at the time, and had just returned from Desert Storm.

I told them that the same Constitution that allows them to go door to door in my country is the SAME Constitution that I defended Every day, not just weekends, when they were out and about inmy neighborhood.

Then I explained that I considered them a threat to me and my family and they had until I got my shotgun to leave my property!

Jesus died so ALL might have a way to the Father, not just the chosed 144,000. Also, what happens if heaven is ful of the 144K when they die? Is there no room at the Inn? Or do they kick someoneelse out to make room for the do gooder (or did better?)

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
We discussed this very subject this morning at church!

There is only one religon that believes that the gift of eternal salvation is a gift that man can not earn. Christainity.

All the other religions are based on mortal man doing something, working his way to heaven.

God doesn't need us to "do" anything for Him! All He wants is for us to have a loving relationship with Him. It was for this reason that He created us.

JW's believe that you have to work your way into to becoming one of the 144,000. In other words they are working to replace their ancestors on the list?!?! ::huh:

Arrowslinger

As far as people go Jehovah's Witness's are like the rest of us they have good and bad but the JW's I've met and work with are the nicest people around the kind of people you want as neighbors. Their religious beliefs in my humble opinion are wacko and as quickly as I can run them off my porch on saturday morning the better.

Can anyone explain who started their religion wrote their bible ETC just out of curiosity.

Dudley Do-Wrong

The primary reason they are so dedicated to the door to door evangelism is that it is a requirement. Personally, my advice to anyone (not extensively biblically taught) would be not to engage them in theological discussion, you'll be pummeled.

While they publically proclaim to be Christian, one would need to investigate their doctrinal beliefs to see that it actually contradicts traditional Christian beliefs. Some of these beliefs are:

1. Watchtower literature is considered to be more authoritive than the Bible. In this, they consider the watchtower to be the only authority to provide biblical interpretation; so instead of reading and studying the Bible, they rely on watchtower literature to tell them what the Bible says.

2. The JW's deny the diety of Christ, that Christ was not God in the flesh.

3. In light of #2, the Trinity is denied.

4. The Holy Spirit is considered an impersonal "force".

5. Salvation is achieved by works. These works are exemplified in their aggressive evangelical efforts (which can actually be admired if the efforts were motivated by love of Christ).

6. Heaven is reserved for a selected few (144,000).

These are just 6 basic JW beliefs. There are many others and the above examples can be discussed at great length. If you intend to witness to a JW, be prepared; remember Ephesians, put on the full armor of God; pray, pray, and pray some more; Study, study, and study some more (learn what they believe so that you know what to study); in conversation, only the Bible is to be used; demonstrate love and respect (everyone one of us is a child of God).

BANDERSNATCH

As David Mills said earlier in this thread, the reason they go door-to-door is because they are fulfilling a requirement. Working their way into salvation.

I actually get involved in their home studies. At their home though, since my wife doesn't want them in our house. LOL But, let me add, you have to know both your beliefs and theirs inside and out. When dealing with them you need to be able to debate them with THEIR OWN bible....the New World Translation.

A number of years ago their Awake magazine always carried this phrase at the bottom of page 4..."This magazine serves to build confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away". I told the Witness that I was studying with..."Let me prophecy something to you....The Watchtower folks will change that statement in your lifetime! And when they do, you will believe whatever they say as the reason!". I was subscribing to their Awake at the time and I kid you not it wasn't two months later that they changed it! I went by the guys house and asked him..."Well.....what did they say????" Then I paid him for some literature that I had bought, laughed, and left.

I agree though, the one witness I worked with before was an awesome representative of their 'cult'. She was hard working, pleasant....never ever saw her lose her temper.

Ask any JW's you know if they know about '1975'.... :cool:

Bandy

dbodkin

Must have lived too far out for them.... Never had one on my front stoop...

GeauxLSU

Learning more everyday.

You know, I will never (hopefully) blast someone's denominations. According to a poll I posted there is at least on Mormon amongst us. I am very intersted in other people's perspectives. But this thread has caused me to do a little homework. I read a recount here http://www.exmormon.org, (In particular it was this one http://www.exmormon.org/exjw3.htm) . It was most disturbing and actually very sad. I know there are websites denouncing EVERY known religious denomination or affiliation (I'm Catholic, which in no uncertain terms is called the 'anti-Christ' by some websites) but to live in paralyzing fear due to loving and serving the Lord is so sadly ironic to me.
I have NEVER had a witness knock on my door. I guess I'd simply politely tell them since seating is limited, I would not want to take their seat in heaven.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil